1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Mom!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by HeronsStorm, Feb 2, 2009.

1. HeronsStorm

Hey everyone, it's me again! Guess what, this isn't a sad post! Hooray!

So, the story. Last night we had been talking about a friend of mine (sister) and mom says that they were having a huge argument. We were talking about how even though she's my best friend I shouldn't try to model myself off of her (trust me, I don't), and that I should try and be the good role model, which I usually am. I was saying how I feel bad because that family is so dysfunctional, and mom was agreeing saying it was because we had to rely on each other when dad left us and that made us united. We still do, and I'm actually really grateful of dad for getting the divorce for that reason, but that's another story.

Then mom was saying how I should be able to feel like I can tell her anything. I think she was hinting that if I had any dates with guys, she wouldn't stop me she just wanted to know. The fight with sister and her parents was over a 'not-date'. *eyeroll* I felt a little choked up and couldn't say anything, but after dinner I hunted her down while she was getting ready for a date and was asking her if she would always accept me. She said of course, and I told her that "I... I like girls. I'm not sure entirely if I'm bisexual or lesbian, but I'm definitely leaning more towards the female end of the spectrum."

She was quiet for a moment, still getting ready, then she told me "Honey, I don't have any problem with who you choose to love, guy or girl, as long as you keep your high standards and they treat you like the wonderful person you are." After a few minutes she added. "I just hate to think that you don't like guys because of the divorce between me and your dad" Of course, I denied that reason. She checked to make sure I realized that it was going to be tough, if I've come to this decision, and I agreed saying I had known that for about a year now.

But she just handled it so wonderfully! Nothing's changed with the relationship between me and her. I just feel so... elated, for lack of a better word! I'm considering now that I have the biggest obstacle out of the way, telling my friends. I don't want to hear any more offhand comments about how they're going to get me a boyfriend, I don't want one! I want a girl I can admire and hold in my arms, someone I can possibly love.

And... That's it. Just needed to get the joy and butterflies off my chest! :icon_bigg And if anyone has any advice for coming out to a group of friends, that would be great.

2. Courtneyyy

I'm only out to a couple friends, so this is second hand advice.

My friend Sean came out to Elly, and he said it was alright if she told the rest of the group.

If there's one person you feel more comfortable with, you can tell that person and let them tell the rest of your group of friends.

3. kayar

Well done, I'm sooo glad it went so well for you. I understand why you're feeling elated right now, and that's good. You know, you not only don't have the stress any more of anyone suggesting they'll 'find you a man', but you now have the space and time you need to discover at your own pace exactly who you are and where your preferences lie. It looks like it only gets better from now on! Take care.

4. Mickey

I love the coming out stories where the parent(s) take it well! Congrats!

5. EM68

Congrats! I'm glad it went well.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's wonderful! Congratulations on coming out to your mom! :slight_smile:

7. Charles Marcus

Congratulations. it's good for you to have supportive mom. :slight_smile:

8. Magnet

Congratulations on coming out to your mom. Im glad she was so supportive :slight_smile:

9. george678

Well done on coming out.

10. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    congrats glad it went well

11. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Well done there matie!! So pleased it went well for you!!! :grin:
    xxxx

12. JMar2222

thats amazing! congratulations, so happy for you!

13. ilovelife

I agree! Congrats!

14. AXCE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yet your mom always did seem very accepting and kind-hearted. i'm really glad to hear she took it well. but there wasn't any awkwardness afterward what so ever?

15. TEres321

for coming out to friends, go slow. first come out to the most accepting one, ease into it, let them know one at a time, dont let one find out and tell the rest or else youll get in way over your head, its much simpler and less of a hassle if you just take each one aside or tell them when your alone so you can assess how they react without being around all those people

16. Alex19

wish my mom was like that... she assured me that she still loved me but was all like "Its so sinful yada yada yada" but she dealt with it. she isnt too comfortable talking about it just yet but over time shell get used to it- sorry mom, but your son loves boys! but good for you! your moms awesome.

17. HeronsStorm

Nope, we don't really talk about it. Nothing's changed :icon_bigg. All is good between me and her. But we'll see what happens when I start dating!

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget to take time out to let your mom know how much ass she kicks, OK? :slight_smile:

Lex