1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to two friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by joss22, Feb 4, 2009.

1. joss22

I cannot believe that I actually went through with it, here is the story.

We had a half day at school today, and so two of my friends and I decided to have lunch (both of the friends girls). We decided, because neither of them have any money to buy lunch, that we would make ourselves a large stir fry, which we did. While walking to my friends house, and even while cooking, I really had the urge to tell them, but I decided to wait until I felt like the time was right. Both of them are really into Family Guy, and so we watched that during our lunch, which did not give me any opportunity. One of the girls needed a ride to her guitar lesson at 2:30, and my mom had volunteered to give her a ride. After lunch, we were doing normal stuff around the house, looking at stuff, conversing, playing with the cats. About ten minutes before we were getting picked up, I asked them if I could trust them, which they said of course to. I told them that I was gay, and immediately I felt as though someone took a hammer and whacked my spirit in the back.

The two of them were really accepting, as I knew the would be. They asked me some questions, the obvious ones, and then they started to confront me about my ex-girlfriend. Lets just say that the situation with her is pretty complicated, and a subject I do not like to talk about. I told them that, "Guys, you are making this awkward," and immediately they stopped with the questions. In fact, they acted as if that conversation never happened after a moment, and got back to playing with the cat. I wanted to talk to them, but I just didn't know what to say, there were a lot of things that I was going to say, but the subject was just dropped.

After getting home, I felt sick to my stomach, and took a nap. I had play practice to go to at 4:00, and both of them are in the play. Going there just made me queasier, and when I was there I felt absolutely sick. Luckily, they acted completely normally, but a few people made comments about how pale I looked. Acting helped a bit, as did seeing other people, but still, there is this lingering feeling in my stomach.

I don't know, I am happy to have told them, but is this feeling normal? I sent them a message on facebook that said that I really wanted to talk, but so far neither has responded. I just wanted to get this posted, I mean I am happy to finally come out to someone, and now I will have people to talk to in person, but it just feels weird, like I can't go back or anything.

2. crystaltriforce

congrats i hope it works out for you

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friends! It sounds like that you have two great friends there. Way to go! :slight_smile:

Yes, the feelings are normal. Coming out for the first time brings joy and relief but it can aso bring some worries. What I mean here, you have shared something very private and intimate with your friends for the first time. Often when we do things for the first time, part of us second guesses that choice. Part of us says, 'oh maybe that was a mistake.' Remember though that these feelings come up because you have changed something. Your sexual identity is no longer a secret which you have kept all to yourself for some time. Two of your friends know about it now as well.

From what you have written it sounds like that your friends are trustworthy and respect your privacy. Just remind yourself of that. Also, when you see them with others and you start becoming nervous, just tell yourself, 'why on earth would the subject come up'? And if you don't bring it up, I am sure it won't!

So, what to do? Realx, and enjoy the feeling of having two friends in whom you can confide in. I'm sure they will respond to you!

Again, congrats! Be proud of yourself!

4. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey joss
    Well done on coming out. All I can say about your friends is give them a bit of time. They might not have read your message on facebook yet. If you are really killing yourself over it then phone one of them, the one you're most close to and speak to her, tell her how you're feeling. Good luck joss.xxx

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

congrats I'm happy for you. good luck.

6. EM68

Congrats! I just started coming out over the past few days. At first it seemed surreal. Now I am so happy. I feel like a huge weight came off of my shoulders. I hope you feel that way soon!

7. revolutionrock

Yeah man, it's totally normal to have those sickly feelings, however unpleasant they may be. Eventually, those feelings will subside and you'll just feel... relief is probably the best way to describe it. At least in my experience.

Congrats!

:slight_smile:

8. Mickey

Congratulations! It's normal to feel a little out of sorts. It's a huge thing,in your life.
    Nerves can raise hell with your stomach. Stay calm. I'm sure it'll be fine.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations

10. joss22

One of my friends responded to the facebook message, they kind of avoided me slightly today, but they probably felt that I needed space. I think time will make this better, here is what she wrote.

I am kind of relieved, I mean coming out is all that has been on my mind the past day, now I just need to find time to talk with them without being eavesdropped (which is hard in a town this small if I want to talk in public)

11. Magnet

Congratulations on coming out to your friends :slight_smile: