1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate Speech Presentation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Keiss, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't much for a "coming out" but I had no where else to put it.

For my communications skills class, we had to put together a persuasive presentation.

I decided to do mine about hate speech, more specifically, terms like "that's so gay", "faggot", "dyke", and so forth. For the title screen I plastered the words against the background and started my presentation by clearly saying these words directed towards the audience. (Which was my speech class of about 25)

I continued to explain that about 90% of LGBT teenagers report being harrased by these words and phrase. I also gave the audience a number of statistics of LGBT teens that felt threatened or did not go to school because of such phrases or words.

I also went on about how they affect our LGBT. I noted in extreme cases they may cause suicide. I went on explained to the audience about the Trevor Project.

I ended my presentation with the phrase: "Knock it off!" I then presented the short commercial featuring Wanda Sykes telling the group of teenagers at the pizzeria to stop saying "that's so gay".

I type a lot to convey such an easy message, but nonetheless, I basically had a "coming out" or sorts to my speech class. Overall, it seemed to a powerful speech. I have not received the grade yet, however I do hope I scored high.

I was wondering, have any of you done a similar thing? How did it go over?

2. Dazed

Dazed Guest

the only thing that i have come close do doing something like that is in my international affiars class we were talking about human rights.

womens rights
    back when blacks were fighting for rights.
    ect...

i got mad because the teacher wouldnt let me talk about gay rights.
    something about how people wouldnt feel comfortable.
    me and this guy i knew was gay looked at each other and was like wtf.

who cares if the other students arent comfortable they are my rights.

so in a loud whisper i told my friend that he didnt like me or gay women because he was scared i was going to take his wife.

i never went back to that class. i skipped it everyday for 3 months.
    i knew he was a homophobe. and a sexist. he one told the class the worst thing to happen in history was women got to vote.

>_< asshole.

ok i ramble too much

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    good job mate ! post the commecial on ec or give a link i want to see it

4. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    wow... thats no help at all i dont see how that commercial will effect anyone

nly

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is awesome and takes alot of guts to do! You deserve an A+! Let us know what you got!

7. Miles D

That's super cool :slight_smile:

I also did a persuasive speech persuading people not to use the word "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" and I thought it went really well. Literally ten minutes before I did my presentation some guy called someone else's "gay", and I had a line where I said "I bet you've used 'gay' as a synonym for 'stupid', and I bet someone heard and was offended or hurt." and I stared the guy down and he was so embarrassed! it was amazing :grin:

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I did something pretty similar in year 10, I gave a presentation on gay marriage. I got 95% with comments such as "very powerful and persuasive". I think that was when people started suspecting if they didn't already.