1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by garabaldi22, Mar 1, 2016.

1. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to start off, my coming out story isn't as glamorous as I would want it to be, but that's reality. Here I go:

I came out almost 2 years ago to my roommate that I fell in love with, shocking I know. WiTh more than 11 years having sexual and emotional feelings towards men, I came to accept that I am gay. That is a different stort, the whole acceptance part, but knowing this knowledge I couldn't really hold this new information any longer from my parents. It felt bad keeping a secret from them and that kept on eating me from the inside. So about 2 months after I came out to my roommate, I told my father. He was in shock, like he didn't believe it. He wanted to know if I was sure and he told me that he accepted me for who I am, but I knew that was a lie.

A week later I got to tell my mom, but she said I was confused and just wasn't very experienced with girls, even though I've dated 3 before and it didn't feel special. I ended up hanging up because she made me feel guilty and angry. I later got a phone call frim my dad who later went on to tell me hurendous things through the phone. I still remember like it was yesterday, he said, "you will never be the role model I wanted for your brothers. You can never be that again!" He then said that I should not cry and act like a man, which even hurt more. It was one blow after another. He said he was going to take me to a psychologist and he was going to buy me a prostitute so I can finally "taste a woman." This made me feel worse about coming out, everyone else around me were okay with it except for the people that mattered most to me, my parents. I fell into a deep depression because of this and almost killed myself 3 times because of it.

Forward to today and my parents still don't like it, but they are much low tempered and just like to converse with me like if me being gay wasn't real. But recently this topic came up again and I finally told them that because of them and their bullying I almost killed myself and I almost missed my college graduation. They weren't getting the picture and just kept blaming me for acting that way and that everything was my fault. Even though I told them that I attempted suicide 3 times.

It's a process, I guess. But I'm better off not thinking about it because nothing f good comes from it. Now I have a boyfriend of 7 months, I have a fulltime job doing the thing I love and I live all on my own.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey thank you for sharing your story.
    maybe you can update it from time to time
    your parents sound like they have that "7 stages of acceptance" thing going on so hopefully they will come round to your way of thinking before too long
    the main thing is you have been authentic with them and you can focus on your life knowing you have been honest
    they will have to do some work by the sounds of it
    maybe there are books/websites you can give them or a "PFLAG" meeting they could go to?

3. garabaldi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply bingostring. I will try to update as much as possible. My parents have always been stubborn and they are Mexican, which their culture plays a big role, the whole machismo aspect and what not. But they're coming around every time I talk to them, it's just crazy how much fighting and arguments we've been through. I tell my story so hopefully anyone who reads it can see that it's a process of acceptance for both parties. I've had it pretty rough with my parents and I've learned from it, but every situation is different, it's just how you would Handle it and take from the experience.

#3 garabaldi22, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. Book addict

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    That is the reason why I do not want to come out to my parents and to my family at all... I am afraid they will act like your parents :/
    I hope your parents will accept you for who you really are!
    But your story gives me a little hope also since you wrote your parents are "much low tempered". I hope for you that it will continue to improve!
    Keep us updated
    Hugs
    Book addict :icon_bigg