1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You know, that wasn't so hard

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Filip, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, hi all! Greetings from a longtime lurker who finally decided to join up!

Perhaps there are better subforums to make a first post, but somehow, it feels approppriate to make it here, and add an extra experience to the long list of experiences that finally gave me the push to come out.

So,, where to start? Perhaps first a few things about myself. My name is Filip, and I'm currently 25 years old. I first realised I was gay more than 10 years ago now, when I was in my second year of highschool. The first five years after that realisation were spent in alternating bouts of heartbreaking crush on a hot guy in my class and desparate denial and hoping it was all just a phase. The years after that, I finally came to terms with the fact that I wouldn't change, but my healf-hearted plans of coming out never came to fruition. I never really stopped wanting to be normal and fit in, and coming out would have irrevocably squashed that dream, I guess. Though I did find this forum almost a year ago, even joining up would have been too much of a coming out for me to handle. To be honest, I thought it was already too late, that I had missed the boat, and there was nothing to look forward to but a life of solitude...

Still, many of the stories I read here and elsewhere really made me come around to the idea that it might not be too late. That didn't make it all that easy still. Sometimes I planned to tell a few of my closest friends, only to spend hours with them in almost physical anguish as the words refused to come out of my throat. There was one of my friends I was most afraid of coming out to, though. Ironically enough, he's gay himself. He came out to the whole gang of friends when we were seventeen. However, I must say I gave him a hard time because of it. I guess I resented him for being at ease with his sexuality while I was still in denial about it. At least our friendship never wavered, so I'm guessing my resentment wasn't as noticable as I thought it was.

Anyhow, while chatting to him just a few days ago, I must have sort-of seemed depressed. He asked what was wrong, and I replied there was something that was mulling around in my head that I didn't dare to tell him. His reply to that was that he had a pretty good idea of what I was dealing with, and that we could go for a drink and discuss it. I don't really remember what we talked about. We didn't talk all that much about the whole "gay" thing, actually. Though just knowing that I was in the presence of someone who knew was a big help.

As it turns out, a few of my friends already did have their own theories about me, but were afraid to confront me and force me to speak about it. So all I needed to do after that was confirm that they were right. So I'm basically out to three people now. Not a whole lot changed, we didn't even discuss it all that much. On the other hand I feel a whole lot changed after all. For the first time in many years, I finally feel at ease with myself. I'm even thinking about how to tell my mother and brother (my dad passed away a few years ago, unfortunately). Not in terms of "if ever", but "when". I find myself even making plans for going out and trying to meet other guys. I could feel a bit sad for the ten years in which I was paralysed with fear, but I'd rather feel hope for the future than sadness for the past.

So I guess that I want to close this post with a heartfelt thank you all. I couldn't have done this without you! :slight_smile:

2. Bryan44

Congrats!

3. joss22

Never give up hope, you will always have time. I am glad that you sucessfully came at terms with yourself and that the friends that you did 'tell' were so understanding. I totally know what you mean with that fear of telling everyone around you, and the paralysis that accompanies it, and how hard it is to overcome. So overall, congratulations on accepting you for who you really are

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks!

You know, accepting is the right word here. I thought I had accepted myself already a few years ago, but it didn't seem to help. Now I realise that when I thought what I felt was acceptance, it really was resignation. Of the "oh well, I'd better give up all hope of ever changing" variety.
    True acceptance rules, though! :thumbsup:

5. Alex19

kudos to coming out! u must feel like a million bucks. i know im starting to. only 7 ppl for me, but more on the way!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friends! Glad that you are increasingly yourself and started enjoying life. Way to go! :slight_smile:

7. Étoile

Hi and welcome to EC! :smilewave

(this phrase is so overused but) You have such an inspiring story. I hope for the best when you come out to your mom and brother. I've only come out to my sister and 3 friends, so we're kind on the same boat. Hopefully when we come out to more people, they'll be as accepting as the ones we've already come out to. :thumbsup:

8. kayar

Hey welcome to EC as a regular member. Well done on your 'outing' to your friends, but perhaps more importantly: well done in 'finding yourself'. It's a great feeling when you lose so much of that confusion, isn't it? Any time you need help, advice, reassurance, or just someone to talk with; we'll be here for you at EC.

Take care now and good luck, Kayar. X

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for the encouraging words.

I don't doubt that my family will be accepting. I'm just afraid of hurting them. Or rather, make them fear for my well-being. I know that they'll assume I'm heading for an unhappy life. Then again, I know that keeping on lying to them will not keep them from eventually finding out and being hurt by my not trusting them.

I dunno, I'm not entirely there yet. Perhaps I need to tell some more friends first.

10. tm74

tm74 Guest

Filip

Firstly - welcome to EC

Your story sounds very similar to mine (yes, I'm a fair bit older) - but the whole thing about your first "coming out" being to someone who came out to you, and your reaction to them wasn't ideal echoes my story.

Trust me on this, it's taken me about 4 months to reach where I am now (about 8 people know, plus a few I've met through "the gay communities" for want of a better word) - it does get easier. I won't repeat my story - but will link to it.

I can entirely agree that it feels better to have done it - you can "be yourself" now around people who know - you don't have to pretend to be straight - if you want to make a sly comment about a cute guy, you can, without expecting your friends to poke fun.

Welcome aboard, you'll know from lurking that this is a fun, friendly place where you can be yourself. Stick around!

11. Seanboy23

Heeeeyyyy! :slight_smile:

Congrats, and I think you're on the right track! It's only been about a year for me and I still have SO many people to come out to, which in a weird way is a good thing, 'cuz each time I do it, it just makes me feel so much more at ease with myself and with life in general!

Welcome to EC!

12. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Filip. I am always intrigued about 'coming out' and why we all feel a need to divulge our sexuality to the world. I know we want to come 'clean' and not live a lie but I think each person has to search within and take each day as it comes. We don't see the straight world sitting everyone down and saying 'mom, dad, I have something to tell you....well, I'm straight - there, I've said it." Our sexuality is as public or private as we want it to be and we needn't be defensive about it, but I know I'm as guilty as everybody else. We worry about the other person hating us, or ending the friendship. I say if the friendship is that instable, good riddens. My sexuality came to light many years ago when I was criminally charged with a bogus offence of which I was later acquitted. I had no choice and was outed through the media because of my high profile occupation. I lost a lot of 'friends', but my parents, and those who counted most in life supported me. I was married at that time, and still am, to a wonderful girl who has been the best friend in the world. It made no difference to her and we struggled through the storm together and live a very happy life. I remain faithful to her and since we are both in our mid to late 50's, our sex drive is not as important as our love. Being gay, in my opinion, is a sexual attraction for the same sex. Love can and should be shared between either sex. Hence, if you partner up only for the sex, and friendship and love aren't there, the relationship is doomed to fail, gay or straight. I know I'm rambling but what I wanted to say is take your time coming out, you will know when it is right. We come to terms with our sexuality and then feel we have to tell the world. If you are having a hard time coming out with someone you love, try writing them a letter, or better yet do a video of yourself. Then give it to them and let them be alone to process what they have just read or seen without feeling backed into a corner. They will see your emotions, your hurt and your love. I've seen so many videos of young people wanting to come out that would win awards for sincerity. If they shared them....... Live your life, love your life, love yourself. God created you in his will....good luck. I try to help anyone who is struggling with their sexuality so please, if I can offer my humble advice to any other member, just ask. We are creatiing a more open and accepting world by sharing. Pride.

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, here I was thinking I was too old to come out, and now almost everyone on the thread ends up being older than I am. I feel so... rejuvenated :lol:

I won't quote all of you, as that would just clutter this post...

@tm74: thanks for the link. An inspiring read. Quite similar to my own experience, as you said. And it makes me glad I managed to steer my colleagues away from Hooters the last business trip I went to. There was already too much "raarh, real men alone on a trip" vibe going on as it was :eek:

@seanboy23: Thanks!

@stilsurchin: Thanks for coming into this thread to make your first post! And a thought provoking one to boot! First of all, I'm sorry to hear about the hard time you went through. I can only try to imagine what that must have been like. And good to know you still have the love of those who matter.
    Some thoughts I had while reading it:
    - On the necessity of coming out: I'm not sure if straight people don't come out to friends and family. They just do it differently: by letting them know they have found a partner. They do it by commenting on people of the opposite sex, and in a thousand small turns of phrase that get uttered every day. If you're gay and don't want to lie about it, you can either not participate at all in this, or deliberately keep evasive. Regardless, you're setting yourself apart. By coming out you can lose a bit of that separation, and become closer to them again.
    -Love and sex... I'm not sure if I feel the same. I agree love is something that is important, and can be felt for either sex. But I also know that I have never felt about any woman what I have felt about some men. Regarding sex... I must say I really don't know. I know I don't want to get into that unless I really found someone to love. So I'll tackle that when I come to it.
    -A video... there's an idea. Though that'd mean I'd have to edit it some, and that'd mean I'd have to listen to my own voice. Not a very nice prospect :icon_wink

Hmm, I'm really thinking I should have started posting here sooner. I'm discovering entire ways of thinking about it I never considered earlier.

14. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    glad I could help and stimulate the thought process. Sharing is what we're here for. We may not agree on every point, but we're helping each other evolve. Stay Proud.

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this is goin fast. It seems like it has been months since I started this thread, but now I see it's less than two weeks.

Anyhow, time for another victory report: I told my brother!

It started when my brother did a sort of "coming out" to me. Apparently he's been seeing this girl for the last few months, and he wasn't sure how to tell me or my mother. He was almost ashamed to admit it to me. Apparently he felt that as the eldest child, I had to find a significant other first before he was allowed to... Needless to say, the whole situation was resolved quickly by telling mom, and the girl in question was introduced to us (literally) a few hours later.

In any case, today, while we were in the car alone together on our way to visit some friends, he mentioned how he hated to lie about it, and how silly he found it that he didn't tell sooner. This, together with a few other remarks he has been making in the last few months, really seemed as if he wanted me to know he knew I was gay and was OK with it.

So I just blurted out how I have been lying for the last ten years, and how silly I felt for not telling them sooner.
    Apparently he had no idea I was gay (so I definitely overanalysed everything he said, :lol:slight_smile:, but he was very cool with it. His precise reaction was: "well, it's no problem. I'll get the grandchildren for mom covered!" If anything, he was a bit insulted that I thought his reaction could be anything less than supportive. He seemed really interested, and asked a lot of questions. And, somewhat to my own amazement, I had no problem whatsoever answering them and talking to him about it.

Now, he has been a bit quiet for the last few hours, and avoids looking me in the eyes, so I think the news is sinking in a bit. But he's definitely cool with it! And I feel that I'm a bit cooler with it too. It's an even better feeling than the first time I came out!

Now I just have to tell my mother, so the toughest assignment is yet to come... But I'm sure that with my brother's support, I'll make it through that. After that, informing the remainder of my friends should be almost trivial.

16. EM68

Congrats on telling your brother! I am still working on it. I hope he has the same reaction as yours.

17. olides84

Congratulations on telling your brother Filip! (!)

18. Phantasma

It sounds like once he gets over the "sinking in" he'll be even more supportive of you being gay than he already was :slight_smile: Congratulations!