1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first realize you were gay/bi/.....?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Potatoes, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Potatoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am interested to know when you knew your sexuality.

I knew I liked boys but I was sure I was gay when people would ask me and I would just subconsciously answer with I am gay.

2. killswitch0029

Somewhere around my early teens. I realized that guys were attractive but didn't really think anything of it until towards the end of high school/beginning of college where I became more aware of what it meant.

3. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew around 14/15 years old... but I didn't do or say anything till I was in my mid-twenties. Only came out at 25 to family and friends. Before that - totally closeted.

4. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kinda knew it since I was 14 but never thought about it too much. When I was 17 and in high school I realized I like boys so I thought I was bi. After a while I knew I was gay lol

5. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My story is quite intresting, I can remember one day sitting in class when I was about 10, and looking at one of my girlfriends that I thought was a nice person, and I began getting the type of butterflies that I got when I first looked at my first male crush. At the time, I was sort of questioning gender, but I still registered as a girl. I was super uneducated on anything to do with the LGBT+ community, and thought I was just crazy and that something was wrong with me. so for many years I tried to deny it.

But ears passed, and I learnt a little more about the community and a friend of mine came out about it, and started talking to me how they wernt sure on their gender. I got to a point where I couldn't really hold it back anymore, and I needed to talk to people about it. and well that leads to now. Beginning my questioning.

6. DreamingAnother

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Around May of 2014, when I started to date a guy I really liked online. It lasted 8 months and, in the time, I really came to like him. We were still friends through then but then, we stopped talking late last year. After a year, I came out to my parents and, they were supportive of me, so, yeah!

7. PANictime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started having crushes on other girls when I was about 6, but I thought it was completely normal to have crushes on them. I started to realize my sexuality was different at 9, and finally came to the conclusion that I was bi when I was 10 because I had had many crushes on both males and females. Now, when anyone asks I just say I'm bi and don't think gender truly matters in a relationship (*hug*)! Sometimes I get haters:icon_sad:, but I've stopped giving any :***:.
    [​IMG]

8. cakepiecookie

I was relatively late to figuring it out - 16 when I first realised I had a crush on a girl, and about 17-18 when I felt pretty certain I was bi. Then by 20 I'd realised I was more gay than bi.

With hindsight, there were signs a lot earlier, but it took me a long time to become consciously aware of it.

9. HeiBai Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For me it was a process. When I was in tenth grade, I think about 15 years old. I had met this girl a year prior in a Barnes and Nobles in Maryland (I'm in NY) and we exchanged numbers; we texted a lot and got pretty close. I knew she was bisexual and I started developing feelings and told her as much; we ended up dating briefly long distance. At that point in time I wasn't particularly sexually attracted to girls and assumed I was just biromantic then. I then developed a massive crush on my best friend and that seemed to confirm it, as I wasn't sexually attracted to her for the most part. However, that same summer my (other) best friend and I had an overtly sexual sleepover that we had fun with, and I figured I had a propensity to at least enjoy myself sexually with girls, but assumed I needed an emotional bond first. Then a month later I took a solo flight to Seattle and sat next to a young woman both ways who I had an instant crush and attraction to. At that I came to better understand the idea of what sexuality is to me, seeing I could be attracted to men and women alike regardless of emotional attachment even if it wasn't split 50/50 like I had been led to believe it "should". Since then I've seen the way my attraction fluctuates and only recently can I say I fully grasp it. However, I have been identifying as bisexual since dating my friend long distance.

10. Stuart3247

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It hit me today like a ton of bricks. An old person like me grew up with what I now know is a false dichotomy. A person is gay or straight. Period.

I've lived a straight life. I had a wonderful marriage to a fine woman that lasted 40 years until her death three years ago.

Now, my body is telling me that I'd best figure out what would make it happy. I have
    had a lifetime of nudges from deep inside me that want expression and fulfillment.

I find myself envious of the men and women here at this site who have the opportunity to explore all the variations.

I think I would be a good bottom. My psychosexual development was very mixed and very powerful and at this late stage in my life there are really no constraints. My closest friends have been encouraging me to pursue a romantic and physical relationship with a man. There certainly have been overtures.

The closest I came to forming a relationship with a man was with a colleague. We got very close. I got scared and dismissed the possibility by saying, " It would never work. I was a Harvard man and you were a Yale man."

Maybe I am Bi. I find women attractive and there are some opportunities there. But I also have a 60 year history of yearnings and curiosities and fantasies.

11. Embi

Embi Guest

I've known that I am bisexual since somewhere at the beginning of this year, but I had always phases before where I was confused, questioning or thought I was a lesbian. It was always something hidden underneath and now that I know what I am, many things and feelings I had before make so much sense.

12. MulderYuffie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was roughly 6 I would always crush on guys always saw it as normal and no big thing. I was attracted to them naked as well very attractive. My aunt who raised me knew pretty early on as when we'd watch tv I would talk about my crushes. I was roughly 9 or 10 when I discovered that I was "gay". and got a better understanding of how things are and I never turned back never thought about a woman or slept with one but been with plenty of older men. :wink:

13. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I knew I liked boys when I was about 6-7 but I only matched myself with gay when I was 11 I think...

14. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    From an early age there were definitely signs even though at the time I overlooked all of them. It wasn't until I was around 15 years old that I for the first time considered liking girls, but then it took me about 4 years where I at the age of 19 truly realized that I was gay.

15. guitar

I had some hints / feelings toward guys around the age of 12-13 or so and repressed these feelings until my early-mid 20s when I couldn't ignore my true feelings and attractions any longer.

16. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the longest I can remember, I've been aware of it somewhere at the back of my mind. When I was little I had a crush on this girl for a long time. She eventually kissed me later on, but sadly for me at the time, she was straight and just messing with me. I still know her, but I've moved on. I was always subconsciously aware of the fact that I was at least bi for a long time, but I never fully accepted being queer it until last year because I thought I had issues. When I accepted it, however, I was already more aware of other genders. Noticing that I still had feelings for other non cis genders, I came out as pansexual.

17. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was 5. I remember stealing heels and clothes from my mom and bikinis from my sister. I would go under my bed (had a tent under it) and dress up. I knew I was different the moment I showed it to a friend who was a boy and he bolted out the door home. Thats when I knew.

I knew I was TG when he first ever show of big brother aired (in the netherlands) and it had a ts woman in it coming out in that show. It sparked a whole movement and I suddenly understood wth was wrong. I was 12/13yo.

I knew I was bisexual shortly after that.

18. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here.

19. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was different in high school but didn't know what it was. I began to suspect when I was in college and I was seriously sexually attracted to a girl in my PE class. I totally confirmed it at 26 when I had a full on affair with another woman.

20. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew when I was 11that I liked girls, I thought I was lesbians and that's the first thing I came out as. I 'dated' my fist girl ( when I still identified as a girl) online, at the age of 11. She was also 11.

I knew I was trans all my life to some degree, but I fully accepted it at 12.

I knew I was actually pan-romantic asexual at the age of 12 as well.