1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found my brother's gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ACDC, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ACDC

Im not sure if this belongs here but i couldnt think of where else to put it.

Anyway i recently found out my big brother who is 2 years older than me is gay. It was through a mutual friend that i found out. I had always suspected it, and would explain why he wont accept me on facebook.

Also im worried (possibly stupidly) that because he is gay, and was first, that i in some way shouldnt be. Help

2. crystaltriforce

that is without doubt one of the dumest things i have ever heard. and i went to scool with guys who thought pot makes you smart!

3. Alex19

r ut the only kids your parents have? and if your gay too, then your parents r gonna have to deal with it- and have son-in-laws in stead of daughter-in-laws! my parents will only see son-in-laws. me=gay, my sister=straight

4. Janvier

Crystalforce, pot just gives you a different perspective of things..

Anyway, I understand how you feel, I'm worried my brother will be gay, well not worried but I still feel like my mother would like a straight son..
    I hope he won't get worried like you are right now, if he is gay =/

You're gay because you are. 'I shouldn't be gay because my big brother is' is terrible thing to think. You are who you are. (*hug*)

5. xequar

Wow, so you and your brother are both gay? Lucky genes, eh? :slight_smile: And that's the only explanation. There's no reason you shouldn't be gay just because he is.

6. lostinthought9

There's a family up the road from my house that, one son is gay, the other is said to be bisexual...and I've "heard" that the mother is rumored to be Bisexual as well.....so go figure.

But, you shouldn't think like that. Like someone said previously ^^ You are who you are.

7. gutsrie

i know what you mean. i too have a younger brother who is also gay. at first, i wished i didnt have a gay brother because i felt it somehow had to do with me, but i'm actually glad i do have one now. :slight_smile:

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The Executive Director of PFLAG National, Jody Huckaby, is gay and has three gay brothers in his family of eight. It happens. Nobody knows why yet. You can't change your orientation because you've found out your sibling is gay. You and your parents are just going to have to deal with it. I'm sure there will be good things and bad that come from it.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was said above, it happens. You should not try to change, nor pretend to be someone who you are not. Always be the person who you are.

In some ways it could actually help you in your coming out journey. In fact, he could be the first person in your family to whom you could come out to. Is he out to your parents? If so, how did they take the news?

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Sounds like he's not out to your family yet...you could urge him on or at least talk to him about things you normally couldn't with other people. It's only something that can bring you closer and develop your fraternal bonds even more. :slight_smile: I envy you. I don't have any siblings.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand what you mean. In my case, I was always hoping very much that my brother wouldn't turn out gay. So at least my parents would have a son to expect grandkids from.

Well, I'm past that now, but then again, my brother turned out very much not gay, so I'm not sure how I would have reacted if he was.

Still, the best advice I could give you is to talk to him about it. If you have a good relationship together it can only become better. And even if you haven't, it might just be because you were both afraid of really talking to each other about it...

12. kettleoffish

It happens. My immediate family is... a little more complex than average, but I'll explain.

My father has 5 children.

the eldest (my sister, now 34 years old) whom he had with his first wife is straight.

The next eldest (my other sister, in her mid-late twenties), whom he had with a different woman than my other sister and who lives in America, is a Lesbian.

The next one down, who I have never met, he had with yet another woman, and I believe lives in Glasgow. I don't know his sexuality, hell I don't know his name.

Next is my closest sibling, who is my direct brother. He is straight, has a girlfriend of almost a year now. He's 17.

And then there's me. I'm 15, and gay.

I hate how long it takes to explain my messed up family.

13. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i get why you feel that you can't be gay because your brother is... it might seem that you're just copying him, no matter how true it might be.

14. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many scientists, and I believe this is the mainstream view of things, think that both genetic and environmental factors are the root cause of homosexuality in men and women. The genetic component of this, of course, explains why homosexuality runs in families.

15. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Same here, I think my brother is gay.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It just means instead of comparing hot girls, you can compare hot guys.

Lex

17. digsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My older brother is gay (he came out before me). My main worry was that my parents would have a really tough time coping with 2 gay sons, but they were actually much better reacting to my coming out than my brother's. And it's great having someone to talk to about that sort of stuff. If I ever need advice I know who to talk to - it's awesome!

18. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

There's no reason you shouldn't be gay, have you told him your gay too? i think this could strangthen your bond, if it can be.

Best wishes, Ta.
    James.

19. DexterMorgan

My brother is bi...

Is there really a 'gay gene'?

20. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, no research has ever shown a single gene as the culprit. So if there is a genetic factor it might be several genes acting in concert, and giving you a certain % chance to turn out gay.

Another theory is that a certain ratio of hormone levels in the womb can influence it.

So it's more complex than single genes.