1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Update

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DexterMorgan, Feb 19, 2009.

1. DexterMorgan

Over the past few weeks, I have become open about my sexuality. It started as a secret, but now I'm not afraid to say it--I'm gay. I've told all of my friends at school, and they're all supportive--some don't even care. We live in 2009, times are changing!

Up till now I have been struggling to tell my family who I really am. I finally came out and told my older brother. I told himr over IM, and then he called me to talk about it. He said that it used to be classified as a mental illness, but not anymore(not sure where he was going with this). And basically told me that I'm still his brother, and he still loves me the same.

The next day, my aunt took a good look at my Myspace profile, and noticed something--it said I was gay! She thought I was joking at first, and then asked me how long I've been 'out'. She told me that she had a gay cousin who lived with my grandma, because his family rejected him after he came out. This happened before I was born, apparently. Of course, she said she doesn't think of me differently. She was concerned about me in school, and I just said "I'm a part of a new generation.". She reassured me that my mom wouldn't take it hard, and that I should tell her myself.

I can finally see myself growing up to be a real human being, not living in the closet, and completely honest. Still, I don't think I need to tell my mom. Because she is an alcoholic, she'll just forget about it.:help:

2. Alex19

u have a gay cousin that lives with your grandma too? mine only lives her b/c hes kinda irresponcible and does weed like everyday...

3. DexterMorgan

No, he used to. This was before I was born.

4. Bryan44

Well congrats on accepting yourself and coming out to all those people!!

5. xequar

6. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am continually astounded by you younger guys and the wisdom and courage that flows from your tender minds. The times really have changed since the 60's when I was growing up but so has the maturity level in you people. You guys should be proud about how you are moving ahead in life and accepting yourself. I have a 26 year old son (he has estranged himself from my wife and I - I am not out to him but think he has some idea) who is totally homophobic and although he was not raised that way, I wish I could get him to be more compassionate toward people. We adopted him when he was 9 and he had a bad history of physical and sexual abuse and many foster homes prior to coming to us, so I do understand some of his emotions, but I am a believer in moving on in life and not using the past as a crutch. Guess I'm somewhat rambling but just wanted you young guys to know how much you inspire and impress us old dinosaurs..Walk Proud.

7. Alex19

thank u stilsurchin! id like to say progress is slowly being made in the world.

8. tallship

I agree with stilsurchin, you younger guys and girls are amazing .