1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out in front of 400 people by accident

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by nethsen, Mar 31, 2016.

1. nethsen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So last night I got tickets to a live storytelling event because my cousin couldn't go, so I went with my parents and my best friend who I was out to at the time. My friend and I sat together, away from my parents. Once the show started I realized there was an audience participation thing where you could write down on a piece of paper "the biggest leap of faith you have ever taken". They put the slips in a bucket and read a couple in between stories in the first half of the event.
    During intermission I went to go fill one out, and so I wrote down, "When I came out to my friends six months ago (I'm 14)", which was true. I don't know why I wrote that, I had been thinking about coming out to my parents for a few months now but had always planned on just doing it to their faces.
    Towards the end of the show, they read a slip and guess whose it was. So my friend and I turn to each other and he's shocked that they actually picked my slip and I'm really scared because I have no idea if my parents knew it was mine. My friend and I were probably the only two 14 year olds in the whole theater, because, you know, it was a storytelling event.
    By the end of the show, I've decided that I'm going to tell my parents that the slip was mine. They turn on the house lights and I walk over to them, still kind of freaking out. My dad looks at me and asks, "Was that slip yours?" I tell him yes. I hug my parents, but they don't really say anything. I'm sure they are ok with it but it seems weird that they didn't really elaborate.
    Meanwhile, my friend is there the whole time, and I'm sure he feels awkward. The four of us walk back to the car as if nothing even happened. The whole car ride home, my friend talks about himself and how tired he is and I really want to tell him to shut up because I'm really confused and my mind is racing. Finally, we drop him off at his house and drive home. When we get inside the house my parents hug me and tell me congratulations which makes me feel much better.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! I'm so glad your parents are supportive and hey, what a coming out story you've got. That's one less stress you've got to worry about.

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's unfortunate that you didn't intend it to come out at the time, but at least it seems like your parents are reacting decently positively. I would say to give them some time; if they're just now finding out, they're probably still sort of in denial. The stages of grief are still applicable here because they're losing their perception of you being straight.

Give them some time, and then you can bring up the issue again if you feel comfortable doing so. If they're just in denial, the chances are that they'll come around eventually. Bringing it up right away might just lead to negativity, but once they've had some time to adjust to the information, you might have better luck communicating with them and making sure that everyone's on the same page.

On a similar note, my college application essay prompt was "Reflect on a time you challenged an idea or belief," and I chose the day I came out to my best friend. They didn't read it aloud to anyone (I hope), but my entire college admissions staff knows I like men.

4. cakepiecookie

Good for you! A leap of faith for sure! I'm glad your parents took it well. They're probably a bit shocked and need time to let it sink in.

5. killswitch0029

I'm glad to hear things worked out for you :slight_smile:

6. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats to you. I'm 28 and in half of my life you have found the courage that I have never been able to find. I've hidden myself for so long and tried to be "normal" and I can't do it any l longer. I'm glad to hear you did it when life is simpler and you don't have years of lies built around you that you have to deal with. I have a wife and many more years that I need to answer to. Being ad young as you are I'm a bit jelous that I didn't have your wisdom. Congrats and know that this life is yours. You will find your place and happiness