1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Auntie.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by OneHatMadder, Feb 21, 2009.

1. OneHatMadder

Hey dolls!

My Auntie Rosie from England has come to New Zealand for a holiday. She doesn't know that I'm gay. Nor does that half of the family.

Now, when it comes to my sexuality I am generally the most comfortable person in the world. My entire family in NZ knows I'm gay, all my friends know I'm gay, I was in the paper for starting up a gay group so I am by no means 'in the closet.'

However I found it impossible to tell my auntie. In fact I wen tout of my way to keep it from her! I normally wear a rainbow band around my wrist signifying gay pride. I took it off when I went to visit her in case she suspected. I am so disgusted in myself for not being able to tell her.

I think it's just that I don't want my favourite auntie thinking any different of me.

She's already gone homw and I never got up the courage to tell her.
    Isn't this supposed to get easier once you've done it for ages?!

2. DexterMorgan

Aww...cheer up!

Maybe she already knows some how?

3. biisme

This person is obviously so important to you, and no matter how open you've been and how many people you've told, she'll always be just as important. You said yourself that you don't want her to think any different of you. Do you have any reason to suspect that she would?

4. OneHatMadder

She's very very conservative and she was raised by my nana who was very "Anti-Gay" (Thank god I never had to tell HER) so it would be very difficult to get past that for her I think.

No she wouldn't suspect.

5. Greggers

Aww, mama (*hug*) darling its never easy with some people is it :frowning2:

I have the same problem with my aunt from Toronto! She has always liked me SO much (actully, she has said infront of her own children along the lines of "Greg, your such a wonderful guy. I wish you were my child" haha, i know, harsh) but at the same time she is also VERY strongly against some things, and when she is against something she is AGAINST something. I dont want to be the reason aunts and uncles stop talking to eachother, i could never bear that since my family is already so spread apart.

And, like you, im not exactly what you would call "in the closet" anymore. Im a legend at my old Christian school by now im sure :slight_smile: All my friends know, all my family in the province know, people walking down the street know when they hear what i talk about haha. Ive come out so many times now its almost boooring :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Still, telling my aunt would be hell. I think its just because she thinks so highly of me, and i dont want to wreak that with this.

So...i guess this does not help much, eh mama? Well i just want you to know im in the same boat and i totally understand and am there for you (*hug*) Atleast because she does not live near you, not telling her isnt as important as if she lived close. Sorry about the pointless post though hah :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Im SO useful...

6. hiddendc4

mama (and greggers lol) i can completely relate since i have a very similar relationship with my dad and i live in the same house as him :confused:, he and i are so close that i feel that if i came out to him that it might break his heart in a way :eek:, but such is life i guess, and like greggers said it probably makes it easier since she doesnt live in such close proximity to you other wise she would have read about it in the papers.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

hope this helps you feel a little better