1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Parents and One Sibling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by purplekitten5, Apr 13, 2016.

1. purplekitten5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A few weeks ago, I sat my parents down and told them I am bi-sexual. I explained that I am still me, I still have the same personality, same beliefs, and I'm still me, my sexuality is just something new they know about me, it's an addition. However, they saw things differently, in other words... THEY FLIPPED OUT!

My dad got up from the table and left the room, he slammed the door, and my mom just started crying. She asked if I was trying to punish her or make a point (because in her mind, at the time, those were the only reasons I'd be bi-sexual). I tried to talk with her, because we're close, but she wouldn't hear it. She simply said that I needed to go to church more (I'm a Christian) and read the bible. She eventually walked out of the room and went in to the bedroom.

The weeks that followed were spent by my parents not really speaking to me (we live in the same house, so completely ignoring me wasn't an option). I would try to watch TV with my dad (like we usually do in the evenings), and he'd simply hand me the remote and walk out of the room. I would try to tell my parents stories about my siblings (I have one older, two younger), they would just nod their heads, maybe an occasional laugh. My dad and I used to hang out for a couple of hours during the weekend - just the two of us, some special one-on-one - but he's since stopped.

Recently, I asked my mom, how she felt about everything and she said, "I want to get past this, I do, but I just can't forgive this." I was devastated. I asked my dad if he felt the same and he responded, "I wanted you to be better."

My parents and I's communication has become even less than it was. Recently, I came out to my older sibling upon being asked (or more, they asked me if I ever going to address the fact that I was bi-sexual and that she knew it - my parents probably told them). My sibling had a whole different reaction, they just said, "Okay." I nearly cried (with joy), my older sibling has been a good support system for me. Even though, they don't say anything to my parents (which I don't expect, and I feel that the situation between my parents and I should stay between the three of us), however, they're understanding. They don't approve, but they understand and are supportive none the less.

If you can take anything from this, know that not everyone will accept your sexuality when you first come out. But there will be someone/people who will. I hope the best for everyone who chooses to come out, please don't let my story scare you from coming out.

I feel free, and even though I'm still hurting, at least I'm free.