1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 3rd coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MattyPatty, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MattyPatty

Alright, so I have already been out out for about a year. On Thursday I went to a thing called Challenge Day... it's like an anti-bullying campaign, but it's so much more than that. It changes people, it helps them to forgive themselves, forgive others, and for me... it really helped me overcome suicidal thoughts and self-loathing. If you ever have a chance to go to Challenge Day you should jump on it, it really is a life altering experience.

Anyways, at the end of the day people are allowed to come up and talk about what they're going to do differently or something really emotional that has happened in their life or something like that. I wasn't planning on going up but as time ran out I wanted to go up more and more and so I finally went up, the second last person so I'm glad I had finally plucked up the courage. I'm rather shy and I hate public speaking but I felt like this was something I really had to do. This is what I said... or what I can remember anyways:

"Alright, so I guess I'll start off with saying that I am gay. I've known since I was in grade 6 and I told one of my friends but then the whole school ended up finding out. Like, I was in grade 6, I didn't know that being gay was supposed to be a bad thing, it was natural to me. Like, two weeks later three kids beat me with baseball bats and sent me to the hospital. I eventually ended up moving all the way to another province, Vancouver, I guess B.C. actually. I don't really know what else to say except that you shouldn't hide who you are. We shouldn't have to live in a world where we're afraid to be ourselves. Just be yourself, and people will respect you for it."

It was really intense. Everyone was clapping and cheering me and people came up and hugged me. My best friend, Melissa, she was like crying and she was so proud of me and I couldn't stop smiling.

I called it a 3rd coming out because I came out in Ontario in grade 6. Then I moved to B.C. and hid it from most people (with the exception of some amazing individuals) until Grade 10. And then I came out in front of 140 strangers that I had known for only 7 hours.

2. Janvier

Congrats, that was very brave and a great speech !!
    Coming out isn't a one time thing tho, you come out your entire life :slight_smile:

3. olides84

Congratulations! What an amazing feeling that must have been!

4. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

I wish i could do that, I got me self a new hero now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are an amazing young man with one steel set of cojones (that's balls in Canada). You say you are kind of a shy guy (your avator would contradict that) but on the contrary, you have a strength that is a very rare quality in humans, the strength to be different and the strength to standup. I detect somewhat of a self esteem problem in you and I want to tell you not to feed that enemy. You're young, you've been gifted with everything from good looks to a maturity way beyond your years. Take a look inside and you'll see what others do. You inspire....walk PROUD..

6. DexterMorgan

That was a really young age to come out. I'm sorry for what you've been through.

7. SpacerX

great to see you have put all the bad behind you, and are embracing who you are, well done!

8. Greggers

Thats great! I live near Vancouver too but i never heard of "challenge day" before :frowning2: Too bad, would have been fun. Was this a school event or a city thing?

9. jotheoneandonly

wow, im insipered.

10. EM68

Congrats...I got chills from reading your post. Good job!

11. tallship

I salute you ,your more of a man than I'll ever be .If your the future that it is looking bright :thumbsup: (*hug*)

12. Bryan44

Way to keep moving forward in your life!! Congrats!

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on that and it's great that you could do it on Challenge Day!

14. MattyPatty

Challenge Day is like... nation wide. I know they've done sessions in Ontario and Nova Scotia before. Mine was in Port Coquitlam... I guess it's sort of like a city thing.

Thanks :slight_smile: I've read your posts on other people's stuff and I think they're all really uplifting and helpful. Oh, and that's not me in my avatar, but I wish it was :icon_wink

Yay (*hug*)

And thanks to everyone else who said stuff (!)

15. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks :slight_smile: I've read your posts on other people's stuff and I think they're all really uplifting and helpful. Oh, and that's not me in my avatar, but I wish it was :icon_wink

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the kind words, Matty. I stand by my comments!