1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Aberrance, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thought I'd share how things went for me posting a facebook status coming out to hopefully ease other peoples minds if they're planning on doing the same thing.

So I posted the status on my old account last weekend (if anyone wants to read it just say and I'll post it) and directed people to add my new account if they wanted to keep in touch. I got an overwhelmingly positive response and it's now got 115 likes and 20 encouraging and supportive comments (bearing in mind that I only had about 200 friends on that account that's good proportion). People started sending me friend requests and DMing/texting me with supportive words, even people I hadn't spoken to since secondary school in 2014.

I was worried about a few of my friends who had said transphobic things and didn't seem particularly welcoming of trans people at college but yet again I was surprised and one of my close friends who I believed would be the least accepting actually messaged me saying that he'd sort out anyone who said anything negative to me which was completely threw me and made me incredibly happy.

Having spent a week at college it's been a little draining. I'm having to constantly remind people to use the right name (but my friends actually pick up on it with each other sometimes when someone gets it wrong) and a lot of people are uncomfortable with the pronouns so a couple have outright ignored me or have not said my name/pronouns for fear of messing up but I can live with that. I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks it'll get better and I couldn't ask for a better reaction really. It's difficult at college because not everyone in my classes know (if they don't have me on fb) so some people don't know what to call me but I'm only there for a couple more months and at uni in september I can completely be myself so I'm just bearing with it.

I hope that this encourages anyone else that is thinking about coming out on facebook. I believe that at my age people are a lot more accepting than they would have been if I came out at 15/16 but that might have just been my school. Noah Alexanders video really helped me too so you might want to check that out.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yayy congrats :grin: