1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One year since I came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 5 cent nickel, May 17, 2016.

1. 5 cent nickel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The 30 of May this year (2016) will officially be one year since I came out to anybody, ever. It feels weird. This post is mean to help those of you that are currently in the process of coming out.

I was scared to death, one year ago. I didn't know that my best friend would think. I had been questioning for a while when I eventually came to the conclusion that I was gay. I never wanted a girlfriend. I always loved boys and that is the way that I probably going to stay. When I came out to him I was shaking, sweating, and all around I was so nervous I just wanted to crawl up into a ball until I was picked up.

When I told him, he was extremely supportive. He is one of my best friends, as I said before, and I was really worried that I would loose him. The thing is that he told me that he would accept me no matter what, whether I was square, triangle, or circle.

And like many other people on this website will tell you, it feels so good to come out to the first person. Granted that it would be awkward for the first few weeks/months after you broke the news, it would "go back to normal". They probably won't bring up you being gay all that often, and when they do, it is not that big of a deal anymore. You treat it like any other conversation, and it feels so good for you to be you finally.

I didn't come out to many other people until about December of that year (2015). I came out to my other best friend, and once again, super supportive. He told me that he doesn't care, and that he knew for quite a while that I was not the "straightest guy in the pack".

I told a few other people, and those people were all amazing. They are the best friends I could ever ask for, and they are the reason why I came out to my parents a few weeks ago. It is so freeing to finally be able to act the way I want to, and be myself around my family and not to have to worry about what I do so I don't do "gay things".

It is amazing to look at this past year and see how far I have come.

And what I am trying to tell you is that you may be in the same situation I was in. I kept thinking "ahh, I'll do it tomorrow.". Don't do that. Do it when you can. Because if you want to be like me, and look a year ago and see the progress, you have to make that point to look back to a year in the future.

Just do it. It is so freeing.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep! it is just SOOOooooooo freeing to not to have to pretend anymore and have people like the real you.

3. gryf

Thanks for posting this.
    I'm happy that your coming out went as well as mine. :slight_smile: