1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally came out to my family!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Robishere, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known I'm gay for years now and the first time I ever told someone (my best friend) was back in April 2015. Since then, I've been coming out to my friends slowly, but surely. Last week, I got the sudden urge to come out to my dad. I've had these before, but this one was different. I decided to tell a really good friend of mine who is Bisexual and she cheered me on. She inspired me to write a letter telling my father everything I had been hiding the past years.

That evening, I sat down and wrote a letter on which I poured my heart out. Once I finished writing it, I laid it on his pillow and waited for him to get home from work. When he arrived, my heart started racing. He said hello to me before going into his room and acting casual was an incredibly hard task, but I guess I did it? Anyways, once he read the letter, he came into my room and said "Come here" we then shared the longest hug I'm pretty sure both of us have given/received in our lives. While still hugging he told me how he loved me and that nothing would change. Then we went about the rest of our evening like nothing had happened and it's been like that since. (*hug*)

The next evening, I set on telling my mother. It was basically the same process except she was home the entire time and my sister walked in while I was writing the letter (I played it off like it was nothing). It was a little bit tougher this time because I actually had to hand it to my mother, not just lay it on her pillow. I worked myself up and built enough courage to hand it to her and quickly retreat to my room after instructing her to read it. After a couple of minutes, she walks into my room and says the same exact thing as my father, "come here." We hug and she says how I'm her son and that nothing on this earth could make her not love me. As opposed to when I told my dad, she stuck around and we had a 1 on 1 conversation where she asked me questions like "How long have you known?" and "How do I know?". (*hug*)

After that, she asked me if I planned on telling my sisters. I was on a roll so I just told them right then and there. They both had great responses. I couldn't have asked for my family to respond in a better manner. I'm glad I did this because nobody should be ashamed of who they are. Coming out to my family was the most liberating thing I've ever done! It does get better!

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats :grin:

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! It feels awesome coming out to more and more people :slight_smile: :grin:

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Its so great to hear of parents being so accepting, love it.

5. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! That's such an awesome, happy story I'm glad everything went really well for you. And now you can finally live a happier life. (!):thumbsup: