1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing my self-awareness by looking back!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kayar, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kayar

:smilewave Hey guys!

Wasn't sure at first if this is a 'coming out' story; but yeah it is, it's about finding myself as part of my 'coming out'.

Ok, sooooo...... No prizes for noticing I'm now in my late fifties! What that translates to is that when I was in my mid-teens, it was the mid 1960's. The fashions and trends in the UK at that time equally for boys and girls were really very flamboyant (full of fabulousness! - using a brilliant word given to me by my excellent friend Greggers). I really loved it and I had a ball.

BUT - Had I been asked about my love for the 'flamboyant', I'd probably (before today) have replied something like "Well I'm just a product of the times we're living in and just following everyone else".

Then continuing on and into the 1970's, along came the 'disco' era when again men were 'allowed' to dress and to behave with flair. I loved that too!

Then along came the 1980's, with the shoulder pads and 'big hair' (still talking about the guys here). Yeah, you've guessed - loved it!

So what's this thread about?

Well, I've long since 'towed the line' and dressed far more soberly to I guess 'conform'. It's been so boring!

Bringing us up to date, I've started to notice that since my 'coming out' (at first to myself and then increasingly to others) I've started to feel a little more 'confident' to follow my true tastes and instinct in what I do or don't choose to wear. I think I've discovered another aspect to 'coming out'. I guess my deliberate effort to 'conform' to less flamboyant fashions, was just another way of 'acting straight'. A further example of self-denial on my part. But now I'm experiencing a 'coming out' in respect of my fashion 'leanings' as well as my sexual attractions. I hadn't anticipated that, but I'm getting to feel very comfortable with it!

Any one else getting these kind of changes happening to them since starting their coming out journey?

Look forward to your replies guys. (&&&)

2. biisme

I'm glad that it sounds like you're wearing more clothes that you like to wear. :slight_smile:

I myself dress exactly the same though.

3. Alex19

i dress the same as well. well, with the exception that i like to "look good" more often and only want to be dressed in american eagle. but im not prepy(im guessing that american eagle is, from what ive seen/been told)... im too angry/unenthusiastic to be 'stereotypically' prepy.

4. Bryan44

Ever since Ive started to accept myself, I have found myself buying more clothes from stores like the GAP, H and M, and Express. I never used to wear clothes from there before because I thought it was to gay. I have always worn clothes that were the typical guy clothes jeans and a t-shirt, very plain, non flambouyant..But now now I am starting to branch out into other styles..most of which I can NOT pull off. But I am starting to love my new confidence in myself..even if I look like sh*t. :icon_wink

5. Alex19

maybe by being gay we inherit some sort of fashion sence... i talked about this with my friends b4. mine has gone up a little. i actually realize what does and doesnt look good.

6. kayar

Hey thanks guys! Yeah I can see where you're all coming from. That's exactly it - when I was 'dressing down' it wasn't really me, so for at least some of the time my decision on what to wear might have been an apathetic "Oh, that'll do!". Whereas now that I'm feeling confident enough to start dressing as 'me', my true taste and flair (assuming I have some! LOL) is able to show itself. It's starting to make sense to me now.

7. xequar

It's amazing how many things make sense when you reexamine them after coming out. There are so many different things that all fit together once I finally examined them with an honest and open mind. I tend to think of self-discovery as vitally important, healthy, and healing, so I say bravo to you for doing it!