1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hardest thing that I have done

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 4rest, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 4rest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I debated on if I should write this or not however, I believe that this is good therapy.
    I will do my best to give you the condensed version. Unfortunately, this story does not begin happy.
    I, as several people here knew at a young age that they were attracted to people of the same gender. Living in a small Northeast Texas rural town the only place to express your true self is alone in the shadows of your mind. You suffer secretly wanting to be the person you know you are but fear and rejection suffocate you. So you sit in silence. I became aware of my difference in middle school. As you can imagine my middle school and high school years were hell. There were people who knew I was different and daily they insured that I paid the price by stares and slanderous comments.
    Life moves on yet monthly, daily, hourly, snide remarks, jokes all targeting gay people permeate you.
    After awhile it becomes obvious, something is wrong with you and it is best to retreat further into your mind. Now you are only a shell of a human trapped in a world that wants nothing to do with you, or cure you of your illness. Life continues to move ahead and you have learned to maneuver in this world. You laugh at the jokes, keep your head down and hope that no one takes notice of you.
    Flash forward. Recently, after many years of trying to convince myself that I was straight and looking for the girl that shows the world that I am just like everyone else, self-reflection tosses my world into chaos. Questions surface. Why am I looking for “the girl” when I am attracted to guys? For two months I began online searches of gay people. I came across a few websites that talked about coming out, tips, questions, etc... As I read stories I began asking myself questions like, is this me? Do I feel like that? My answers always was you know who you really are, stop the deception. Two weeks from this date I suddenly became depressed. I became a recluse cutting off contact from my friends and family. “How can I face them?” Quickly, they realized that the fun and jovial friend had retreated. On the occasions that I would see them the words that I wanted to tell them, “I’m gay” faded in the atmosphere just as quickly as it took for me to open my mouth. “What the hell is wrong with you, why can’t you say it!?” That weekend a plan emerged. Monday is Texas Independence Day and I have the day off, so why don’t I cook my friend’s dinner and celebrate Texas’ independence with my own. The date was set and the menu planned.
    Monday.
    I’m home all day preparing the four course meal and rehearsing how I would tell them. When they arrive I have them go and chillax since they were at work and school all day. I feel uneasy but begin serving the dinner. Not to brag but they are impressed. Thank God, I needed all the positive energy as possible. We progress through our meal and they question, “What is all this for?”
    I say, we are celebrating Texas Independence Day… (long pause) and my independence day.
    Confused looks are darting at my direction. Again, the words did not want to come out. “WHAT IS IT”, they ask. And with that the words, “Guys, I have to tell you something (my hands grow cold and my heart flutters). With a shaky voice I say, “I’m…gay” “I bat for the home team”
    My eyes now have a hard time seeking their eyes. The questions begin with brief moments of silence.
    They were actually touched and accepted this new revelation of a friend whom they have known since the first grade. They were HAPPY that I chose to tell them. Though I came out to them I did let them know that I’m still trying to adapt to the new me but would answer any questions that they would want to ask. Some more questions came and the night continued as it usually did.
    One last thing I tell them, since all of our families still live in the closed minded little towns and I’m not ready to tell them at this time. They totally understood.
    My second outing last night was a little rockier than the first but ultimately had the same results.
    I wonder, will they all be difficult or do they get easier? I never had felt this open before, it frightens me. Today, I feel more like me for the first time in my life. With such great revelation I still am frightened, uncertain and unsure how to proceed. This is my partial story. With great humility, thank you for reading my life.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!
    First, congratulations! Just about everyone finds it really difficult to say those words out loud for the first time. I remember actually feeling dizzy when I told the first person. It hasn't exactly become easy for me - my heart still speeds up when I tell someone for the first time, but it's a hell of a lot easier than it was the first time. The first step is the hardest to take, and now that you've taken it, the next will probably be easier.

3. Noah

Congratulations!! The first time I told someone, I literally felt sick. Now it comes as naturally as breathing. You will go through doubt, denial, all the stages of grief. My advice? Look them up so you can know what to expect. When Acceptance hits, its beautiful :grin:

4. Bryan44

Welcome to EC!!

Wow you were so brave to tell all your friends! Especially in person, just the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach. But congrats!! I hope it does get easier for you.

:eusa_clap

5. jangel

Congrats and know that you are not alone...The beginning of your story is one that too many of us know all too well!! The family is the hardest but with each person who accepts you and loves you for who you are gives you more courage because you have support behind you. I think it does get easier. Life being gay is kinda perpetual coming out story with each new friend or new job etc but the more you accept yourself and the more others do the easier it is. I used to look at myself as different all the time now It almost shocks me when someone is surprised because it is so Everyday to me. I am just like every other person I am a productive member of society with a loving committed partner.. I feel just like everyone else! Best of luck and hang in there and someday your rainbow flag can hang proud. Sending you warmth and best wishes -Jen

6. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Coming out the first time is SO HARD....but you've done it!! Welcome to EC, read some of the posts and find comfort in the fact that many are going through the same thing you are!!

7. Magnet

Congratulations. That's amazing coming out for the first time :slight_smile:

8. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations from the metroplex:

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Definitely deserves a round of applause!

9. bex22

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    congratulations! thats brilliant!

10. tlsorrel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading these stories, I revisit those feelings that I got when I came out, not for the first time, that time was WAY too easy, because the guy that I told is one of the most accepting people I know. I'm talking about coming out to my parents. Heart flutters, shakey hands, cold sweat. And then it all bursts forward with those two words: "I'm gay." And for a second I couldn't breathe. After that, I got almost the same feeling while coming out to my crush, who, as it turns out, is also gay. And then it just got ridiculously easy.

11. xadude

Congratulations! It's so great to read these stories and become inspired, Thanks for sharing it!