1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to a 'Gay' meeting!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Jim1454

I know I'm not 'out' to friends and family, but I'm trying to get comfortable with myself, and make contacts in the gay community with others that I may have something in common with.

I've known for a little while that there is a gay support group in Toronto for gay dads. It meets a couple of times a month. I thought it would be a good thing to go to - as I fit the profile - but I hadn't been able to bring myself to actually attend a 'gay' meeting.

Until last night! I was coming up with a million reasons why I shouldn't go, but I went anyway, and I found it to be really helpful and encouraging. As it turned out, there were only 5 of us there, and I was the only new person at the meeting. So it was great to be able to tell my story - much like I have in here - to other men who have gone through a very similar experience.

So while I won't be marching in our parade here on Sunday, I do feel pretty good about having gone to that meeting, putting myself 'out' there, and meeting some other guys that have at some point been in the same boat.

Thought I'd let you all know! I thought maybe this would be encouraging to others who were thinking about attending some kind of meeting but were hesitating.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Jim, that's great! What a great way to meet new people and get support in your new role! I know sometimes its kind of scary to do something like this but once you do, it feels so good! I remember my first PFLAG meeting! It was a picnic in the park. My son asked me on the way there if we should just eat the macaroni salad ourselves and go home. LOL I said "no, let's go!" Everybody was so friendly and it felt really good. I'm glad you felt the same at your meeting.

3. blake21

thats great i did not know there where support groups for gay dads i am glad you found it helpful and encouraging

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, it's always really nerve-racking going to the first gay event, meeting or whatever. Fear of the unknown, so completely understandable.

I'm really pleased it went so well. I assume you'll be going to the next one too? It sounds like a great place to meet people in a similar situation.

5. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yay Jim, that's a great step! Congratulations, I'm very happy for you :slight_smile:

6. TriBi

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It always takes courage to take a step like that. I'm really glad it went well - you have been so supportive of (and helpful to) others in so many of your posts here I am happy you found something that has helped you. :thumbsup:

7. Jim1454

Thanks for your encouragement. Yes, I expect that I'll go back to another meeting. They get together twice a month, so while I may not get to all the meetings, I'll try to get to one once in a while.

I think it will be a great way to meet new people in a similar situation.

8. SadConfusedBandGeek

Omgosh! Good job!! I woulda been way to scared!