1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my friend(s)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gkacarl, Mar 9, 2009.

1. gkacarl

gkacarl Guest

i have been wanting to come out for a long time, you know have at least someone know the real me, i just can't find a way to talk to them and tell them. whenever i think of telling them, i get nervous, even if they aren't around, will someone please help me :icon_sad:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sometimes being very nervous about coming out, is a sign that we are not completely ready yet to take that step. Maybe try this: stand in front of a mirror and just say out loud "I am gay". How does this feel?

If it feels good and you don't have any awkward feelings, it will help you to reinforce your self-acceptance and perhaps also allow you to gain some courage to start coming out. At the same time, it will help you to determine as to whether you are ready to take that step as positive feelings will help you to overcome some of the fears associated with coming out.

Also, when you try coming out, start coming out to a really close friend, someone you know you can trust. Someone you know would be accepting and totally fine with it.

Once you have decided on the friend in whom you want to confide in, take your friend aside and maybe try starting the conversation with "I want to tell you something important," and take it from there. Maybe invite your friend over or meet up with him/her somewhere, where you feel comfortable. Sometimes, having a reassurance from a friend that it will be kept between the two of you can also help.

Try to start your coming out process by coming out to one person at a time. Remember that coming out is not a race. You don't have to come out to everyone at once. Coming out to one person at a time, will give you some control over your coming out at first.

If you find it too hard to come out in person, you could always try writing a letter or an e-mail. There is no right or wrong way to come out. But it is really up to you. Give it a bit of thought as to what you would be most comfortable with.

Hope this helps a bit!