1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Brother Knew

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IamCasey, Jul 12, 2016.

1. IamCasey

My big brother forced me to come out to him. He knew something was on my mind, has seen me looking at guys of all ages, staring a lot longer than I should, and sat me down and told me that he loved me not matter what. I broke down, told him and we ended up talking most of the night. Him telling me not to stare so much, to be discreet, to use my sunglasses outside to cover my eyes, all kinds of thing. He is my hero and I am very lucky to have him in my corner

A month later he told me I needed to tell Mom and Dad. He even was with me, right beside me when I told them. Told Mom and she hugged me and said she was afraid I was. Then quickly added that she was worried for my safety. People in the South are not very Gay Friendly. Said it would not be the choice she would make for me but she also loves me no matter what.

My Dad who does not live with us, was silent way to long. I thought he was not going to be supportive. But he finally spoke and told me that he is not happy about it. But mainly for same reasons as Mom. Worried about my safety, how things will go if I get outed and then he laughed and said it will now be up to my big brother to carry on the family name:icon_wink

They are the only ones I am out to. I want to tell my best friend but worry if he will accept me as I am not as he thinks I am. Not sure I can risk loosing his friendship. He means way too much to me.

I am lucky. I have my big brother who not only supports and loves me but has told me if anyone gives me trouble, to let him know. And I have 2 parents who support and love me

2. SmallSeaCat

Gee, when i told my mum she used "Its just a phase" :frowning2:

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're lucky to have such a great brother looking out for you. I hope you show him that you see that.
    Clearly your parents have accepted what you told them but their responses might have been a bit disheartening. For them it was a shock and so they didn't have chance to really consider it before having to respond. They have some unfair ideas about what 'gay' is and that's no surprise considering the way it is portrayed in their world. However, try not to live up to those expectations - show them that it isn't a bad thing.
    You will have to be careful to stay safe but you don't need to become a victim of life.
    You can be gay and still be the same person you always have been.
    You can still do all the things your parents expected in life such as get married and start a family of your own.

It is a good idea to tell your friend but you're right not to rush into it. Think carefully about why you want to tell him, why it's important and prepare for unknown reaction. Try to keep the conversation as light as possible so that he see's it for what it is and doesn't panic that you're about to declare your crush on him.

Good luck moving forward. You've got a good attitude towards this and some great support, I'm sure you have a lot of happiness ahead of you.

4. IamCasey

My Big Bro is my hero and he knows it. Always has been. And I try to show him someway, every day. And having a 13 yo tell you he is gay right in the middle of the Bathroom/Caitlyn/Orlando Shooting times cannot be easy for them. Mom is working through it with me. Dad says he will always love me but with something he has said and done I can tell he is struggling with it. My friend has never made a homophobic comment around me. So I think he will be cool and we have been friends for 8 years. Just waiting for the right time to tell him. Thanks for every thing you said

Mom and Dad both said they would not have chosen this lifestyle for me. But they know from what I said that it is not a phase.