1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 'out at work' story...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by boredofnormal, Mar 11, 2009.

1. boredofnormal

So, I have this online blog. All the details of my life are contained therein. I had 3 or 4 people I work with on my Facebook friends list. I put a link to the online blog onto my facebook page so that my friends could know what I was about....

You may have guessed it by now ~ one of them printed the entire blog, photocopied it and left it around the hospital for EVERYONE to read...OOPS! I hadn't anticipated that when I have them access. My bad.

Anyway, I now couldn't be more out at work if I wore a sign! It was a shock at first, but now its a relief. Even my homophobic boss feels comfortable talking to me about it. Its quite amazing. Nothing has changed at work in the way I'm treated or respected for my work. In a way I guess it was a blessing.

2. EM68

I am glad it worked out for you. However I think it was totally wrong for someone to print out your blog and leave it around for everyone to see. Do you know who did that? If you do I would have a serious talk with them.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it may not have been ethical for someone to do that without your permission, but still think of all the people you educated!

I gave permission for my "Homosexuality: A mothers perspective" to be shared and have got tons of really good responses. Even my very conservative aunt e-mailed this morning and said she enjoyed reading it. So you never know how many lives you touch by just sharing. Good job!

4. Seanboy23

WoW!

I'm surpised someone would actually print that out and show ANYONE, let alone leave it lying around for just anyone to see. Since it seems to have been a blessing in disguise, it could be "no harm, no foul", but it's still just wrong wrong wrong.

Also, an unexpected aspect of my journey that I've discovered is that I am uber-protective of my right to control the terms of my own coming out. It's MY revelation to share and MY gift to give myself by doing so to each person I tell. That printout took that away from you. No bueno!!

On the "up" side, it sure seems to have killed many birds with one stone, so to speak. And everything seems okay. So.... a sheepish and quiet "congrats".....?!!!?? lol

5. Alex19

if it worked out, good for u!

6. tylerzane69

im glad that nothing has changed and that people still respect you.... i actually had a job where i was out and happy already but the people i worked with didnt like it and i got shit for it.... lets just say i didnt stay at that job long

7. Jim1454

Good to hear things are still good at work. That would have been quite a shock to know that suddenly everyone around you knew!

*Wonders how long it would take for word to get around my office...*

8. boredofnormal

The only problem I had Jim, was that everyone there knows the straight - married me, and they all know my wife. I was a little hesitant to have the whole hospital knowing my business...well, not to worry, its all out there now!

I addressed the 'breach' of confidentiality issue with my coworkers via my blog and they've all gotten the message. Things are good now. At least it wasn't as devastating as being 'outed' can be for some.

9. tlsorrel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    God, I hate being outed. It takes all the fun out of it.

10. Red87

I was outed about a month back at work. I was seen leaving the local gay club by someone in my unit apparently, and, being in the military, nothing stays quiet. Came into work next morning to quite a bit of harassment. However, its all pretty much died down and no one really seems to care anymore, and everything is pretty much the way it was before. People still crack jokes here and there, but none of them are actually derogatory or intentionally nasty, just to get laughs. So, moral of the story, every knows I'm not straight and no one really cares. And, a bunch of the closeted people in my unit have come out to me. Crazy, huh?