1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coworkers All Gossiped & Now All Know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Uncolored, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work at a summer camp. Within the past two weeks I realized that I worked with a handful of lesbians and did not even register it. They never registered me either.
    Once I realized it I started making little rainbow crafts around said coworkers as a nudge and I thought that a few got the hint.
    This past weekend I went to one of my coworker's parities and two of my other straight coworkers asked me what male coworkers I thought were cute. I told them that I am actually gay and they were a bit surprised but super supportive. I felt really good about dropping it in conversation with them although my heart was pounding when I said it. I had told them that I would appreciate it if they dropped my sexuality casually in conversation with my lesbian coworkers so that they would get my hint without having to tell them.
    I had been looking for a good opportunity to tell one of my lesbian coworkers, once one knew, they would all know. That opportunity happened three days ago when I asked my lesbian coworker what she wanted her name tag to look like (I have been decorating them). She pointed and said "I want a rainbow name tag just like yours". I thought this was an acknowledgement that I needed to confirm. When I handed her my name tag and was walking away I said, "You know that I have a rainbow flag hanging up at my house right?". She seemed surprised but I felt great about telling her.
    Two nights ago my coworkers and I all went out for drinks and it became obvious that the news had spread. There were hints being dropped from and in front of my coworkers and no one flinched, like they all found out from someone telling them. As it turned out, I was right. I told one of my straight coworkers later that night and told her that it seemed like everyone figured out I was gay in the same week. She told me that she already knew, that someone had already told her. (15 minutes before I told her).
    In a way I feel relieved that the people I told gossiped, and now everyone knows. I think that it makes my life easier and I can just be myself. It all just happened so quickly and I am amazed at how fast my news spread without me really having to say anything (I only told 3 people, now nearly 50 people know). It is exciting, just surprising.
    I will say though that in case there were any doubts, I intentionally dressed more lesbian-like to the party and wore a rainbow craft the following day.:thumbsup:

#1 Uncolored, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You run that risk at work. Always going to be at least that one gossip who spreads news like wildfire. Have to make sure its those people you can trust before telling them your business. As long as you have people that support you and you love yourself that matters the most.(*hug*)