1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Supermaddi, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Supermaddi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi I'm Maddi I am a lesbian girl and am currently 12 years old and I am wondering if I should come out to my friends and parents

My friends don't even have the idea that I'm gay but I know they will support me because my other friend is lesbian but my mom keeps calling me a lesbian and I deny It even though it's true and we were walking in the mall today and we walked past a lesbian couple and my mom had wide eyes at them even though she's not homophobic and I know that because my moms cousin is gay and she supports him but will she support me?

2. Wolfwing

Well come out when you feel ready and if your mom supports your cousin, she'll most likely support you.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mom might be uncomfortable with it even if she isn't homophobic, but if she's an accepting person, then I say go for it. ^.^ Whenever you are ready~.

4. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i would say the odds are in your favor for being accepted. i live in the detroit area too and im not sure if yall have always lived there, but thers not an overabundance of gay people, so her reaction in the mall may have just been suprise. also, although i know you are a lesbian and age doesnt make a difference in that identity, you have to keep in mind that many people who are less understanding may be skeptical of you coming out at 12. not that it cant be done, and not that i dont support it, but you have to be aware of that
    good luck!

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2016 at 04:17 AM ----------

i would say the odds are in your favor for being accepted. i live in the detroit area too and im not sure if yall have always lived there, but thers not an overabundance of gay people, so her reaction in the mall may have just been suprise. also, although i know you are a lesbian and age doesnt make a difference in that identity, you have to keep in mind that many people who are less understanding may be skeptical of you coming out at 12. not that it cant be done, and not that i dont support it, but you have to be aware of that
    good luck!

5. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out whenever you feel you're ready. That said, since you are twelve, it's less likely that people will actually believe you and accept you. If you feel you're ready now, go for it, we're all here for you, but just be wary that some people don't understand and will try to blow it off. I would advise maybe coming out to your friends first if you're going to do it now, that way you have a support system in case coming out to your mom doesn't go well.