1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How it eventually happened

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by SixesAndSevens, Aug 4, 2016.

1. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. It's been a while since I was last on here and wow, what a time it's been!

Last year, I had finished studying and was looking for stuff to do. I ended up going to an event and meeting a number of other gay guys. One thing led to another and I experienced my first kiss with a guy; at that moment I knew straight away that I was definitely gay. It was magical and my physical reaction to the situation gave it all away! :lol:

It really taught a lot to me and I gained the confidence I needed to finally realise that there was no backing out. I was gay that day and I would continue to be gay as I always had been. Keeping it to myself would just be delaying the inevitable of sharing that fact with those nearest to me.

I returned home on a Sunday afternoon having committed to myself that I would tell my parents. It was in the car that it happened, something I recall reading on here that a lot of people seem to do! I was explaining that there was quite a high proportion of LGBT people at this event I had gone to and that it was good for me because I "wasn't straight".

My mum's reaction was "Do you think we're surprised?" :icon_bigg I think it did take a few weeks for my mum to adjust though.

As for my dad, he was really hands off. In fact he apologised a couple of weeks later and said he wished he knew more of the right things to say.

A few months later, my mum told her parents. My grandad, who on the face of it often appears to be quite judgmental is quite liberal underneath it all and was very accepting, in fact saying he knew for a long time anyway. As for my gran, she apparently took it less well and asked if I was sure. She's not been anything but good to me in person though and I guess she's had time to accept it more now.

I've come out to a few other people including work colleagues and not had a single bad reaction. It has felt truly liberating and a big boost to my confidence to now be living life as an out gay man. :slight_smile:

If anybody has any questions to ask, feel free!

2. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is so good to hear,it does sound as though your parents had maybe got an incline and maybe spoke about it.All is good and that's what matters.well done

It pleases me to read such stories coming from the UK as it proves that we are becoming a more accepting nation with each new generation seeing sexuality and LGBT issues as a normal no issue everyday thing.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great story! I'm glad it went so well for you.