1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another step (a very small one)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jblack, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just finished writing my brother a very heartfelt letter that explains what I've been going through - I'm still shaking just from writing it!! I don't think I'll be ready to give it to him for a while, but I think writing it and saving it was a step in the right direction.

This is the point I've reached: I'm gay, I've accepted that, and when I'm by myself, it doesn't really bother me. I am almost always thinking about how much I want to tell my family and close friends...but deep down I know that I will probably never speak up. Unfortunately, when I go to sleep at night, I have trouble falling asleep because of thoughts of coming out and my family's reaction. That said, I do have a very good relationship with my family, we are very close - I think they will be supportive.

Bottom line: I'm gay, it's not going to change, and I can't be truly happy until I'm living my life honestly and the way I want to. Which means it's time to come out of the closet....now if I could just work up the courage!!!!

2. DexterMorgan

A letter is a great way to come out.

Are you happy about being gay?

3. Greggers

(*hug*) Thats Sooooo amazing! :slight_smile: Thats the exact same thing i came to conclusion with before i started to come out. Hold that message tight to your heart, let it help you through the rough patches. If you ever get cold feet, just remember what you believe.

4. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey thanks for the support guys.

PearlJam: Am I happy I'm gay?.......at the moment, no. I'd rather be straight and not have to go through all this. Having said that, I have accepted that I'm gay, and I feel okay about that....so it's a start!!

5. Bryan44

I think that your off to a good start! Writing your brother a letter was a good first step. Your heading in the right direction my friend.

6. DexterMorgan

Yeah, that's what I thought...

I think it's best to wait until you are really up for it, and you are happy to be who you are.

7. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't "hate" being gay - I just think life would be easier if I were straight. As for being "happy" about being gay, I think that's gonna take more time for me....but I also feel like coming out and starting to live my life how I want is gonna play a big part in that. Living in the closet makes me unhappy, so it's hard to be happy about being gay. I'll get there eventually!!...and you people are a big help in that....so thanks!!!

8. limfjord96

ive only been able to come out via letter until last friday its tough, but a letter is great, and it is great to get it down on paper first...good job

9. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    No one can pick and choose their family. That's why family is always safe in our hearts. I bet they feel the same towards you, too. So don't let the gap of shortcoming grow larger and separate the relationship.
    The truth is to be revealed after all. So all you need to do is to decide how to treat the time given to you, and the best way, is to keep growing that relationship with more understanding.
    Good luck!

10. EM68

You took a big step by writing the letter. I wrote a letter to my parents in December but I did not give it to them until a month ago. I found just writing it cathartic. Give it to your brother when you are ready. When the time comes you will know.