1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New & Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BBXL, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BBXL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I though that I would share my story of coming out as gay.

First of all I'm 16 (almost 17) and since I was 14 or 15 I've pretty much known I'm gay. I recently came out about a week ago to my friends and then my family which was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

The first person that I came out to was my best friend (who I have a crush on) and he seemed to be ok with it. The next person that I told was his girlfriend and one of my friends also, she has been the most helpful person through this whole experience and I'm very thankful to her. The next two people that I told didn't seem to mind but they haven't really talked to me that much since I've told them.

My mum was the next person that I told, the first thing she said to me was "How do you know? Are you sure your gay?" that really angered me and saddened me. The most recent merson that I told was my dad which made me feel sick to the stomach when I even considered telling him. Again he asked that same question and then suggested that I go to a psychologist and boy did that upset me....

I went through a stage of denial much like most people and I even went to the length of going out with a girl for 8 months. For two reasons one was so people wouldn't think I was gay and second because I though if I went out with a girl that wouldn't make me gay. I've learnt that that is definately not the case and I can't change who I am.

I also went through a stage of depression and thought about suicide many times. But as soon as I had admitted to everyone that I'm gay all those thoughts went away instantly . It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my back and knowing that I can be me fills me with happyness.

And thats my story thanks for reading it :icon_wink

Irate likes this.
  2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hi, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile: What a great first post!

The reaction from your parents is not unusual. They are in shock and denial at the moment, and probably aren't thinking rationally. Have a look at this Parent/Family Stages of Grief thread which explains things really well. Hopefully it will help you understand what they are going through now.

I'm really pleased to hear that you are feeling so much better after coming out. It was like that for me too.

3. BBXL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, I recognise a lot of stages in the Parent/Family Stages of Grief thread.

It's very helpful :icon_bigg

4. TriBi

Hi BBXL :smilewave - Good to see yet another Aussie (there are quite a lot of us here, hehe).

Well, - Paul beat me to it...I would also have mentioned that thread. Glad it made sense to you and welcome to EC.

There are a LOT of really good people here - I'm sure you'll enjoy the place, make good friends and have a good time. :slight_smile:

5. Double Dubya

Hi there:smilewave
    Good luck(*hug*) :kiss:
    WW

6. BBXL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, also a continuation from what happened to me the other day.

I was speaking to my primary school friend on MSN and he asked me why I had a picture of a guy in my display picture (It was a picture of Drew Fuller by the way This One) and he asked my why I had a picture of him and he started to ask my if I was gay. I thought about it for a few minutes and i decided that I should tell him. At first he was saying yeah thats ok I'm fine with that, but then he started to say things to me like "Well you had better not hit on me" and "I can't believe your gay DAMN!" then he didn't respond when I was trying to speak to him.

So it ended kind of odd.....

7. Sam

Sam

well first of all welcome to EC!!! and congrats on your coming out!

8. BBXL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My next step is finding a boyfriend

Anyone here live in Western Australia? :icon_wink

9. Jim1454

Welcome to EC. I'm glad you've come to terms with your own sexuality. Now its just a matter of everyone else doing the same! Good luck. At 16, you'll find that not all your friends will be mature enough to respond appropriately - don't let it get to you.

10. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hey welcome:slight_smile: Congratz on coming out! Good job:slight_smile:

Sorry about your friend though, hopefully other times will go better

11. blake21

hi and welcome to ec and congratulations on your coming out