1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closet Purists

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by silentsound, Mar 17, 2009.

1. silentsound

I was thinking today, I am a definite closet case. Sure, I am out to one person, but she is about 15 years older than me and lives a long way away and I haven't seen her since August or so. I count that as me being out to one sure, but in my day to day life I am a closet case to the core.

Now, before I told my one person, I used to see people who had "out to one" or "out to a few" referring to themselves as "in the closet" and think that was silly. I was truly in the closet, because I had told no one; whereas these people had gone through the coming out process before. However now that's me, I would still say I'm in the closet, even though I would say I am less so than I was before I came out, but that is more a matter of how open I am with myself.

So I was wondering, what do you consider to be "in the closet" and "out of the closet"?

2. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't worry too much about your "closet status". Telling people is HARD. Be proud that you have already told one person...regardless of where she lives or how often you see her. Telling that first person is a HUGE step!!

3. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think they overlap in an extreme way.
    You're in the closet if there's people that don't know.
    You're out if there's people that do know.
    Know what I mean?
    ... I hope so.

4. Aren't you kind of always in the closet though? I mean you meet new people all throughout your life and usually they don't instinctively know.

5. Just Adam

my out status says it all im so far in the closet ive tunneled to narnia and back :frowning2:

6. Lizz K

Straight up.
    But for real, the hardest person to tell is the first. After that it just seems so easy? But I'd agree with Midnight Angel, we always have new people to come out to.

7. Kirakishou

I don't think there really is a straight-forward definition for it, but to me, you're in if you're purposely hiding it from people. If you're willing to tell people who wants to know, then you're out. To me, at least.

8. starfish

Your out status is something that you decide for yourself. Pretty much you'll know when you are there.

I consider my self out. Everyone I have contact with on a regular basis, except my parents know. I plan to tell them on the next visit home. I haven't told any of my extended family and don't really have a plan too. I just don't see a need for it, I don't see them that often. I figure word will get around, and if nothing else they will figure it out when I bring a boyfriend with me.

New people I met don't know that I am gay, but the difference is that I am not pretending to be straight anymore. So they will always know the gay me and eventually they will find out, but I'm not hiding anything.

9. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think, as you said, that be open with yourself is certainly most important. But from there, I feel like your "closet status" is determined by which ppl know, not necessarily by how many. It depends on those "closest" ppl, the ones who's opinions are most important. Like, my closest friends all know, but I still don't consider that I'm out b/c my family doesn't know... if that makes any sense.

Idk, at the end of the day you should tell who you want... your "status" is unimportant.

10. -Michael-

Aahh this is a good point.

I would say out of the closet is were everyone knows.
    but even then my grandad doesn't know, but that's for more of my safety.

I think to be out, you can be yourself to the majority.
    And the only reason people do not know, is becuase they havn't heard
    or you have secific reason not to tell him.

To be in the closet.
    You can have a few friends, but they're really in the closet with you.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd call someone closeted if they're making an effort to hide their sexuality, and will avoid the topic or lie (which is understandable). I think there are as many definitions as there are people, though.

12. joss22

You can no doubt still be a closet case after coming out to people, I mean look, I have told two people, yet don't consider myself to be out whatsoever. I personally, don't hide who I am, it is just that I CAN'T share that part of me...at least not for about a year from now. I think when I can walk up to a stranger and announce that I am gay that I will truly be out of the closet.

13. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, the difference between closeted and out is just comfort level. For me, "out" is not when everyone knows, there is ALWAYS someone who doesn't know, that is impossible to achieve, but when you are at a point where, if someone were to ask you "are you gay" (as long as you're not scarred for your life or well being) and you feel comfortable enough to reply truthfully.

Everyone's deffinition of out is different, don't worry about being out or not, it really doesn't matter that much.