1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you bring it up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by heinrichtann, Mar 18, 2009.

1. heinrichtann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am not the feminine type of gay man, so people tend to assume that I am straight. I have acknowledged to myself that I was gay fairly recently, so these kind of assumptions were never a problem. But lately, I've found that it is bothering me. For example, someone made a comment about "your girlfriend or wife"; I just said that I was single, but I thought of replying "well, it would be boyfriend or husband for me", but I didn't.

In any case, how do you react in those situations? how to you bring up the fact that you're gay in casual conversations?

2. Kirakishou

Can't a simple "I'm gay" suffice?
    Unless you're asking about bringing it up out of the blue, then tell them you have something to say.

#2 Kirakishou, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You married? "Naah, haven't found Mr. Right yet."

4. Rob13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand you completely. Depending on who you are talking to, you of course will not "act gay". I am not one to act too "gay" in public... Like I worked for my dad... in construction, while in high school. I worked at Sport Chek... and now I work in an outdoors store... I don't blame people for thinking I am straight sometimes... Haha.

Now, I would play it by ear when it comes to telling people if you have a girlfriend or something... Example. I have an interview for becoming a "Big Brother" in the near future. If they ask me if I have a girlfriend or not, I will simply say I am single. I do not wish any prejudice against me for who I prefer to interact with romantically... Although, if it is a newly formed friend or something, it may be best to inform them it would actually be a guy you would be searching for... That weeds out any possibility of wasting you time with someone who would not accept you for you.

So, my suggestion is... Strangers/authority figure= not necessary unless you find it would benefit you rather than not... Friends/newly formed friends= yes... it saves false assumptions from making you feel awkward. In my experience anyways...

I hope you find this useful!

Rob

5. Just Adam

its really hard with friends and family but if u dont know them just sod them say not my type simple enough as they dont mean anything to you so what they think shouldent matter to you if they have a problem with your sexuality it is thiers and says more about them not you :slight_smile:

6. Alex19

ill let you know when i find a good way myself...

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! :slight_smile:

I used to say that I'm single and left it that. But I have 'corrected' a friend of mine not too long ago because it did bother me. Once you say it, the onus is on your friend or the person that you are talking to not on you. Then it is for the other to person to pick up the conversation.

I think however it does depend on the situation too. If it is at your work place and it is accepting, or your co-workers are generally accepting and you feel comfortable with the idea of being out at your work place then by all means feel free to 'correct' others or let them know that for you it would be a boyfriend or a husband.

When it comes to friends, again, if you feel comfortable with being out to them and you trust them I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, it would be a good way of coming out.

Hope this helps!

8. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or, "You married?" "Whoa, since when can I do that?!"

As long as you live in a state where safe-sex marriage is a no-no.

9. Just Adam

or " are you married " " no... HE hasent asked me yet " xD

10. Jtonka1

Well, i can't speak for you but i always went with a don't flaunt it but don't deny it thing, i don't bring it up but i don't avoid the topic either. If it comes up i'm honest about it. It's a good method for a job too.

11. tofuplease

That's good :slight_smile: or if you live in a state where it was legalized recently, say "i've been able to since the last election" or something like that