1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to my Parents! :D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BlueBanana, Sep 11, 2016.

1. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanna throw up but yell out in joy at the same time!

I finally sat both my parents down and told them that I'm gay (possibly +biromantic) and they took it great! My dad was just like "so?" (In a good way) and they both said that their job is to support me no matter what and that I have time to figure things out for sure! I also learned my (step)Uncle is gay as well! My dad actually seemed to take it better than my mom, the opposite of what I was expecting! My twin sister might have been listening in on the conversation, but as long as she doesn't tell anyone else I'm fine with it!

There were some nerve-racking things, though. My mom seemed slightly distraught, but supportive, while my dad was in good spirits during and after coming out! They said that I probably shouldn't go scream it out loud, or maybe after I graduate. I was slightly annoyed by this comment and told them that teens want to date, whether they're straight or not. I thought that that was the last word of it, but my mom said that I could date girls, and stay in the closet.

But, despite all that, they took it well and will be supportive of me :icon_bigg (!)

#1 BlueBanana, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2016
  2. killswitch0029

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, Geek Cube! That was really a really courageous thing you did! And it sounds like you've got your parents' unconditional love and support, which is wonderful!:eusa_clap

In that case, you might want to have a talk with her (or have your parents talk to her) about respecting your privacy and letting her know that you and ONLY you have the right to decide whom you wish to Come Out to and when.

That's a normal reaction from parents. They are probably still trying to process what you told them - especially your mom. It sounds like your declaration was a shock to her. And since parents always want to protect their children, their first response seems to have been to tell you to keep it quiet so that you won't be bullied or face open homophobic discrimination. Don't get mad at them yet. They need time to fully understand and accept what you said. And they probably need some education on what it means to have a gay son, so that they can support you properly. But ultimately, who you Come Out to and who you date is up to you!

Take Care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

4. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations!

5. ZiJ

ZiJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Such a relief there :slight_smile:

6. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I wouldn't have come out yesterday if I hadn't seen a certain tweet last night.

Last night I had to go to the bathroom and naturally I pull my phone out and start scrolling through Twitter. I didn't need to go to far to see a tweet made by SkyDoesMinecraft (yes I follow him don't judge) which read: "Your future self is watching you right now through your memories. Will they be disappointed or smiling?". I then decided, that I wanted my future self to look back on this moment thinking "The day I finally came out to my parents :icon_bigg:icon_bigg", not "Another day I was too scared to come out...". And so I came out of the bathroom and came out to my parents. If it wasn't for that tweet, I'd still be in the closet to my parents today.

7. ABeautifulMind

Congratulations :slight_smile:

The part about your mom only letting you date girls I would not take too seriously... If they are as accepting as they seem, I think they will come around sooner than later...

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome stuff! Congrats!

It's so liberating to come out to parents, and find that they are accepting! (*hug*)

9. ArulElla

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're so brave.. I'm too scared to tell them.. or anyone for that matter

10. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi GeekCube, that's great news. You should be proud of yourself for handling it all so well. I can understand that the reaction of your mum wasn't the best but we parents often say stupid things because we are unsure what to say or thousands of thoughts are racing around inside how heads that we forget to take a deep breath before saying something. And also just the responsibility of being a parent often means that we often think of the possible dangers out there waiting to devour our kids. It's just the way most parents are wired and we often think to ourselves "why the hell did I have to say that? What I meant to say was ..."

11. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's awesome! I'm happy for you! And for the record, I think you should scream it from the top of the world. It sounds like that's what you want to do, so I think you should do it. Bravo!

12. hexamum

"Your future self is watching you right now through your memories. Will they be disappointed or smiling?".

Love it!

Well done you!!
    The world is your oyster!!

13. Morgan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That was funny since most people have their mother take it better

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congrats on being more brave than someone 6 years older than you lol

15. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awesome GeekCube. Well done. Yeah, don't worry about your mum - looking at the Parents forum here a lot of parents seem to say things like that out of concern for the children being bullied. Hope they've had time to absorb it all and now you can look forward to your future. :slight_smile: