1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by HalfInsane, Mar 21, 2009.

1. HalfInsane

Okay, so as far as my dad knows, I may be bisexual (as in, I'm not sure myself). Over a year ago, when I came out as bi to my mom, that was what she told him against my wishes. I had wanted to tell him myself... but whatever. It's old news now. I later realized I was gay, and told my mother, but never my father, since she specifically said it would be a bad idea.

But it's now been a year, and I think it's time he found out. I've already had one girlfriend, and may have a second soon. I don't want him accidentally finding out about it and completely freaking out. Plus I'm concerned that myself or someone else might make an off hand comment that hints to me being a lesbian. Yet, he had a hard enough time accepting that I was even possibly thinking about being bisexual... so I can't imagine his reaction to hearing that I'm gay. He's also quite likely to react with anger, which will almost certainly be taken out on me. But I think if I prolong telling him any longer, he'll just end up finding out some other way and being even more upset.

So, in light of the fact that he's got two weeks off work, I'm planning to tell him within the next few days. He'll be less stressed out than normal, and hopefully won't take it as badly as if he were working. Yet I'm still really worried that he may resent the fact that I'm his daughter for a while... and once again, I may have to deal with a lot of anger from him. I'm prepared for it... but still I'm scared.

Edit: Darn it, just realize this is in the wrong section... and should be in support and advice, more likely. Sorry. ><

2. tofuplease

good luck with telling him :slight_smile: if he was able to accept that you thought you were bi, even if it takes longer he'll probably accept you, even if it takes longer.

3. aerwolfen

i wish you luck ,i'm sure he still loves you very much,and if you remind him you will always be his little girl ,its probally all he really wants to hear,most dads want their little girls to grow up and have another man to marry and he then takes the responsibility of caring for you,and perhaps tat is what scares him when he is not around, who will look after my little girl ? show him your not alittle girl but a great lady with a strong will a love for life and a decisive mind, you are gay you love it,embrace it,and you want to share it with him because you love him as much,you will do great, after all your on this site,you have to be smart,right.

4. Just Adam

he as excepted the fact your bisexual jsut let him know youve been doing some serous thinking and sould searching over the last year and have come to realise you are inclined to prefer women it might be a little shock but hes been understanding and this will be easyer knowing youve liked women up till now. i agree with above post jsut remind him your tghe same person still his daughter and you will always love him very much :slight_smile:

good luck

5. HalfInsane

So, I just told my father I was a lesbian, and he actually reacted really well. I'm so relieved and yet so shocked at the same time... but in a good way. He just said "Well, I'd already sort of gotten the hint from your mother", and then he asked if I was sure. I told him that, yes, I was. Then he gave me a hug.

I'm so relieved right now... and should probably go thank my mom for going and dropping hints, whether or not it was done intentionally. She just made life so much easier for both me and my father.

6. Colly

Congrats! It's always good to hear someone's story go well!

7. Thisisnew

Nice that's great I bet it feels great that you told him and he's ok with it :slight_smile:

8. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    congratulations

9. biisme

It sounds like it went great and that your dad is really accepting. Congratulations!!! (*hug*)

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your dad!

11. Adelric

Congrats!