1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just told my boyfriend I think I'm a lesbian

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sorcha8889, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Sorcha8889

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I've been going out with my boyfriend for a year,I never really enjoyed the sex and now we haven't slept together in 5 months.

I've been struggling with my sexuality for years and I finally told him today I think I'm a lesbian. He was surprisingly supportive, I must be lucky!

Did anyone else have a similar issue when coming out? What was the next step you took after telling your significant other?

2. TheRightThing

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Sorcha!!
    First off, congratulations on coming out to your bf, that's a huge and courageous step you have taken.
    I too was in the same situation, I just recently came out to my gf of 10yrs. During dinner it kind of just blurred right out. She was surprisingly supportive and understanding. Not to say she isn't heart broken but definitely not the reaction I was expecting. I'm so happy for you and the beginning of your new journey!!
    Wish you the best!!

3. clavaboi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes i actually came out to the girl i was dating about a year ago. She was very sweet about it. She never had a problem with it, but we both still had a hard time letting each other go. But all she wanted for me was to eventually find a guy that i can love and she did not want to stop me from doing that by staying around

4. Sorcha8889

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you! Also congratulations on telling your gf that must have been so difficult! I found it hard to tell him because he is the nicest person, we get along so well and he would literally do anything for me. In the past I've had terrible boyfriends, suddenly I had this lovely guy and I had to tell him I couldn't be with him.

I went through a lot of back and forth the past couple of months. Part of me thought, I have this great guy who treats me amazingly. He would be the best father. I could just live my life with him. But then I realised it wasn't fair on him to do that, and he deserved someone who would love him in the way that he loves me.

I said I needed to tell him something and he actually guessed before I said it out loud. When I told him I was trying to hide it he just laughed and said "don't be silly you can't hide for the rest of your life"

I think it will be hard for us to let go of eachother and to have a normal friendship.

Have you told any of your friends?

5. TheRightThing

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omg I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm fighting for at least our friendship. She's the greatest person I've ever met, I literally couldn't see us not being at least best friends, as crazy as it may sound. Unfortunately I have not gotten the courage to tell anyone else. I think out of respect for her, I want her to fully take a grip of the situation before I let anyone else know. Only cause I'm sure ppl will bombard her with tons of inappropriate questions and I want her to be prepared with the best answers and confidence in herself. As for now, I'm taking it one day at a time.
    Please keep me posted on your journey!! BEST WISHES AND LOVE YOUR WAY!!!

6. Sorcha8889

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have told my best friend. But she lives in China so she is quite far away! I know what you mean, I was thinking yesterday that one of the hardest parts of all this is the questions people will ask him. I don't mind if he doesn't want to tell them the reason we broke up, but people are likely to question him if we are still friends!

On the plus side I know a guy and girl who went out for a few years then broke up because he is gay. He just got married last month and they are still good friends so it can work!

Best wishes to you if you ever would like someone to chat to just send me a message :slight_smile:

Love from Ireland :slight_smile: