1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mardi Gras helped me come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GoBabyGoGo, Mar 23, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

Went to the Sydney Mardi Gras a couple of weeks ago now, which i might add was AMAZING! It was such a fun and happy and accepting atmosphere! I was sceptical at first by how stereotypes seem to be always presented at pride festivals, but it wasn't like i thought it would be.

I was surprized when my straight friend invited me there. We both had so much fun! (aided by alcohol) He was asking me questions like: "I'm curious, do people turn gay, or are they born it??" He was also telling me how fun gay people were, and he even said that he wished he was gay!!

You would think it would be easy to come out to him in that sort of setting, and when i knew he wouldnt mind, but i still couldn't get the words out. I told him that night when we got back, along with a few of his friends who went and that i didnt know very well. I was a bit dissappointed that i'd missed the perfect happy opportunity. He was VERY surprised!

I also told my other friend who didn't go, the next day on instant messager. Both my friends were very cool and accepting, like i knew they would be. My other friends, im not so sure. The thing is, i didn't feel an overwhelming sense of happiness. Im glad i don't have to lie to them, but im still a little nervous of the impacts of me telling.

Thank you Mardi Gras!! I think it would have taken me a lot longer to come out if i didn't go. It gave me a lot of confidence to be happy with who i am beacuse there are lots of people like me!! :icon_bigg

2. xadude

Congrats! Thats so awesome, u have great friends

3. Colly

Well Done!

4. EM68

Congrats!

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

congrats, things often aide our decisions and thankfully you have some wonderfully friends.

6. aerwolfen

congrats on coming out,i'm sure your other friends will come around when they start to miss your company and humour,give it time it all works out in the #%D. bad pun sorry.

7. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on a unique, interesting and fun coming out.

8. riddlerno1

That sounds great! Ive never been to a mardi gras or gay pride event! But sounds like you have really great friends!