1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nonplussed reaction.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by YermanTom, Sep 22, 2016.

1. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had come out to a fellow volunteer and staff member in an organization I'm involved in a few months back. So I assumed that it was common knowledge. I was talking to another staff member (female) about family relationships and emotional intelligence, in relation to wills and her duties as an executrix. So the conversation went like this:
    Me: …… my brother is not aware of his or anyone else’s emotions.
    Her: but you are very emotionally clued in, you can see that in the way you deal with clients
    Me: I suppose that’s because I’ve done a lot of emotional work on myself, what with coming out and all that stuff
    The conversation went on for a while about family and technical issues. Then she put on that ‘wait a second WTF face’ and said “what do you mean ‘coming out’….”
    Me: I thought everybody knew …I’m GAY….
    Her: It doesn’t make any difference to me. I presume it was very difficult for you to deal with.
    We then talked about it for about an hour.

I suppose the reason the gossip didn’t spread is that it’s an organization that takes client confidentiality very seriously.

2. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The moment you assume gossip but it doesn't happen - That is like the reversed world compared to most peoples experience.

Still - I can understand the feeling if you are talking this way and someone doesn't know.