1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom last week. Not sure what to do or where to go from here

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AnUnmatchedSock, Sep 26, 2016.

1. AnUnmatchedSock

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Figure I should probably give a bit of a backstory before I go any further: For a while I've been questioning my gender and I finally 'man uped' and came out to my mom. (More like she got it out of me lol). She essentially got it out of me through conversation and wrote it off like I was confused or something. After a night or two of thinking, I decided to write her a letter. Not sure if I can attach pictures because I'm still fairly new, but for anyone who wants to read what I wrote, see the imgur link. (some stuff is colored out to protect my real life identity)
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

After she read it from getting home, she told me some stuff along the lines of "In response to your letter: there are many men who do xyz, abc, 123, etc.; and one of which is AnUnmatchedSock". She again tried to play it off and tell me I was 'confused', I am 'choosing' this and am reading too much stuff on the internet I shouldn't be, etc.
    She also said "You are a BOY. You are NOT a GIRL. You CANNOT change that. You have to accept that and be happy being a BOY." She also told me to 'cut the drama' when I broke down and started sobbing.

After I told her, I was clothes shopping with her as she had a coupon and wanted to look for something for my aunt's kids. I saw something in the men's dept I wanted to try on, and I s*** you not when she told me this IN PUBLIC WITH PEOPLE AROUND: Yes, you are going to wear MEN'S clothes.

Overall, I'm honestly not sure what I do now. It's been over a week since she read the letter and it's still on her desk folded up in a paperclip like how I left it for her. I've given her space since what happened, but I'm still very hurt by how she took it. I feel very disrespected, unloved and unsupported by her initial reaction. I also feel it's my fault I'm trans and that it's my fault she reacted so harshly about it. But there's really nothing I can do about getting away from her right now. I am in college, but I don't have a job, no drivers license and nowhere to go.

I stayed at a friend's house over the weekend to give her some alone time to process it, but I really don't know where to go now. I was thinking about giving her another week and bringing it up one night after dinner. Probably something along the lines of "are you still miffed/upset about my letter? I noticed you still have it on your desk. Has anything I said in it sunk in yet or do you have any question about some of the things I said?" Not sure if it'll be that verbatim but I want to keep it subtle without pressuring her too much as I know it's not easy for her to take in all at once either.

How do you think I should bring it up with her when I talk with her about it? Any and all advice and support is beyond appreciated. =)

If you got this far without skipping anything, thanks for reading my story.
    AnUnmatchedSock

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why did you feel the need to come out to your mom? You mentioned that your relationship with her was already strained. You must have thought that telling her you were trans might make things worse right? So what was the thought behind that?

Why do you think she is reacting to you the way she is? Minimizing you, and embarrassing you in public.

3. AnUnmatchedSock

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Why did you feel the need to come out to your mom?

1) I was eventually going to tell her about me being trans anyway, I just was waiting for the right time first and to see if the shades would cool down between us first. I pretty much got 'outted' when she grilled me about it as I said in the op, so I wrote her the letter to give her the full synopsis and to try to explain everything about it to her.

You mentioned that your relationship with her was already strained. You must have thought that telling her you were trans might make things worse right? So what was the thought behind that?

2) Not necessarily, no. I was hoping in a way it could help us fix things (although it'd seem unlikely). She was very open and accepting when I came out as bigender a few months back, but even then we haven't talked about it together too much since then.

Why do you think she is reacting to you the way she is? Minimizing you, and embarrassing you in public.

3) I honestly don't know why she is doing those things and why she said those things to me. Like I said in response to your second question, she was very open and accepting of me and just wanted me to be happy when I came out as bigender so I figured if I said I was trans she'd react in the same (or similar) supporting and loving matter. As for the degrading comments, I don't know. From what I understand, she had been under a lot of stress between work and her personal life, but I honestly don't see how her life problems are relevant to my coming out situation or why she should take everything out on me like I'm her punching bag of sorts.

#3 AnUnmatchedSock, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry your mom feels that way being trans is not your fault we are born this way don't ever be ashamed of that give her time she might come around and if she doesn't don't let that stop you from being you stay strong and be proud of who you are because there's only one of you

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I'm missing something you've said, but how did she "get out of you" that you are trans? Are you telling me she threatened you or was hurting you? How do you just say "Im trans" in a conversation unless she was pressuring you in some way?