1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to my Best Friend... Accidentally

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BlueBanana, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My goal wasn't to come out to him. My plan was, and still is, to come out publicly once I go to High School. Join a GSA and get a boyfriend :slight_smile: But, with this friend, that sadly isn't the case.

My first mistake was made yesterday, I tweeted about how I'm relieved to have a crush but sad they won't ever like me. It felt nice tweeting it. I just didn't specify the gender. Now, I have this one online friend who DOES know I'm Bi. He's also Bi. We had a talk about my crush (I'll call my crush Alex) and it felt nice telling someone I know personally my problems and concerns. BUT, this story isn't about him. Hours later, my IRL best friend (I'll call him Mason) texted me asking if I'd tell him my crush if he told me his crush. I instantly replied no. I wasn't completely ready to come out. Also, we three were like a best friend circle. I'm BF's (best friend, not boyfriend) with Alex and Mason. Alex is BF's with Mason and I. Mason is BF's with Alex and I.

My second mistake is not trying to end it then and there harder. I mean, I did try to end the conversation, but with little effort. Mason started asking questions about why I didn't want to tell him. Then he started asking questions about "her" (ha) and making guesses.

My third mistake was deciding he wouldn't figure it out and turning it into a game. He asked tons of questions, and I gave him a few hints. Mason named literally all my female friends he knew of (I have PLENTY more female friends). Eventually, I told him he was making a fatal mistake. That mistake was him saying "her", but of course I didn't tell him that. Now, he mentioned things like "just making sure, you're straight", "it's a female, right", or "is it a dude" a few times. Every time he did, I tried deflecting the questions by replying with "keep guessing" because I didn't want to lie. I felt like I didn't want to lie about my sexuality, but just not straight up say what I was. That was probably enough for him to realize something was up. That was last night. I told him I'm going to sleep and goodnight, and I went to sleep with him having no clue who my crush is.

This morning, we started texting again, and Mason tried guessing once more. I wasn't giving him anymore hints (he had like 4 by then) and he kept guessing. Mistake number four. I shouldn't have initiated the conversation again, but I found it quite funny watching him guess and guess and have no clue who it was. Eventually he was once again like "Wait, is it a boy". I told him I wouldn't reject or accept anymore hints. Only if he guessed correctly.
    "Is it me"
    "Ew no"

Fatal mistake number five. Not lying. I could've simply lied, but the second guy he guessed was Alex, the right person. The only thing I could respond with was "uh". I didn't know what to do, as I didn't expect Mason to guess correctly. I tried avoiding saying yes or no, but he wasn't taking that, so I spilled the beans.

Thank god he's super cool with it, and it seems the amount of gay jokes he made today during school was more then usual. That was my biggest concern. He makes gay jokes (always in good fun, never homophobic) that I tend to laugh at and I never mind them, and we've joked around a lot about being a gay couple (we don't ever mean it, it's just funny). I was afraid he'd feel awkward making these jokes and just being around me since we joked about being a gay couple, and little did he know... :grin: But he was cool

He's promised not to tell anyone, and everything seems normal like before. I'm actually quite happy I've come out to Mason, now. It worked out really well (!) My original plan of waiting till High School is still in play, though

2. FTMANDGAY

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im so glad he is good with it! I would have hated to read this and find out he turned away from you!

But I wanted to say, I giggled so bad when he said "Is it me?" and you said "EW NO" haha

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the lesson to non-heterosexual teens that are still in the closet:

Don't play the 'who do you have a crush on?" guessing game with your friends.:lol:

Congratulations, though GeekCube! I'm very happy that he was so accepting and now you have a Support Group of one best friend and ally if you go forward with Coming Out openly in High School! And in the meantime, you have at least one person that you can be totally open with and practice just 'being' yourself!

Hey, just a thought. He DID promise not to tell Alex about your crush, didn't he?

Take Care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

#3 Quantumreality, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. BlueBanana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm really happy he was fine with it!

He promised he wouldn't tell anyone. "I wouldn't do that to you". But, if he considers it, I know who he likes :grin:

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL!! Life's good, then. I'm super happy for you GeekCube!

6. killswitch0029

Happy to hear he took it well :slight_smile: