1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I finally couldn't take it anymore. I told my mom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Katherine, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    ...And wow, I feel better. :slight_smile:

It happened in a weird way, actually. I knew she was the first person I wanted to tell--she'd been suspecting for a long time and I knew she'd be okay with it--but I wasn't actually planning on telling her today.

I came home from school feeling really upset, considering the last person I'd seen was this guy who really likes me but I just don't feel anything for him, and the whole situation is just really crazy. Anyway, I was upset. So I got home and went in to say hi to my mom, and guess what she was watching on TV? It was Oprah, and it was an episode about--and I'm not kidding--lesbian women trying to come out of the closet. I almost screamed from frustration and ran out of her room (leaving her, I think, sort of confused at this point). I went to my room and stared out the window for about ten minutes, trying to collect my thoughts, trying to calm myself down a little. I had to tell her. I mean, seriously, if that wasn't a sign, what was?

So I returned to my mom. And, my heart racing (this was the first time I'd ever said the words out loud) I started talking to her about it. I told her that I just wasn't sure I liked men, and that I was really starting to think that this wasn't just a phase, that I was starting to be sure about it. I basically poured out all of these emotions that wouldn't stop nagging me. And do you know how she responded?

"I'm sorry," she said. "I'm really sorry. This has to be a really tough situation for you to be in. Especially being in high school, where you really don't have anyone to talk to about it. I wish I could make it easier for you, but there's nothing I can say. Just hang in there. It will get better, I know it will. I'll always be here for you if you want to talk about it."

Basically, she understood. I was expecting for her to be okay with it, but I never realized she would understand so completely. I was surprised.

Unfortunately, I think it kind of counts as two people. I'm almost sure my brother overheard at least part of the conversation, and I wasn't exactly ready to tell him yet, either. But he's trying to pretend that he doesn't know anything, and I know that if I call him on it he'll deny it completely. He was the second person I wanted to tell anyway, though, so I'll actually tell him sometime this week. It's kind of embarassing, though....

But anyway, there it is. My first coming out. I feel like I should, like, eat a piece of cake or something to celebrate. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. joss22

Wow, congratulations on having such an easy time with it. Personally, I would be extremely happy if coming out to my parents goes even close to as easiliy as it seems to have gone for you, you are really lucky to have such an understanding mom. Eat some cake, you deserve celebration :grin:

3. Thisisnew

WOW congrats the Oprah thing was a sign that's great that your moms good with it and do celebrate it's a big deal :slight_smile:

4. biisme

Congratulations!!!! It's awesome that your mom was so understanding and caring. She sounds like a great first person to tell. :slight_smile:

5. Derek the Wolf

Aw, that's awesome. Great thing your mom reacted so well. :grin:
    Go have a piece of cake. X3

6. Bryan44

Awesomeness! Congrats!!

7. Zac4

u got a very cool mom. congrats

8. Mickey

I think your mom is great! Congratulations on your first coming out. I hope it all goes this well,for you. Welcome to your life!

9. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    congratulations

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

11. jsandoval1192

Congratulations!
    I'm glad it went so easily for you and hope that things continue going smoothly for you :]

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yours is a success story, and Oprah is Jesus. Congratulations on the victory!

13. Lizz K

Totally eat some cake.
    Maybe throw in a brownie.
    Congratulations :slight_smile:

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations thats awesome

15. aerwolfen

congrats to you and especially to your mom for being so understanding and patient with you,she is a very special lady and so are you,best wishes for the rest of your coming outs,thanks for sharing such a heart warming story,i'm sure it will give courage to others out there that want to take that next self awarness step of coming out,.

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mum! That's awesome! It's great that your mum is so supportive.

17. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations !

18. Alex19

19. Janvier

Yay !! Congrats on coming out to your mother, she seems really sweet :grin:

20. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Thanks for all the support and congratulations, guys! Wow, I'm just feeling so much better about everything today now that I've told someone.... I guess I've finally started to accept myself and be proud of it!

(And by the way, I DID have a piece of cake. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Although I want a brownie now.)