1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get through the hard times?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hendrix, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm just curious as to what other people do (or don't do) to get though thoughts of suicide or even just general depression. What do you regret doing and what are you so glad you did do? Also, would just like to hear other's experiences with it. Just curious, no pressure.:goodevil:

2. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a teenager, I went through a very long period of severe depression and suicidal thinking. One of the things I did was to cut - which I regret. I ended up in the stress center several times before the age of 18 years old. At some point, I realized cutting was not the answer and started for counseling, which I am glad I did. I stopped cutting and started to look at why I was feeling the way I did. But, the depression lingered on.

Now, I still suffer with depression, but there are several things I do. First, I had a very close friend commit suicide - she took a lot of pills and died over a month period of time. Seeing her in the hosptial, bloating up, and dying was horrible. She left those she loved behind. I truly understood the idea that "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". Nothing in life is worth suicide. At this point, I just chose that suicide would never again be an option for me, no matter how bad it gets. At first, the thoughts still ran through my head about suicide being a possible answer, but over time, through repeating to myself that it was never going to be an option for me, I stopped thinking about it.

Still, there are days I want to curl up in a ball and just sleep forever. On those days, I try to talk to and be with friends or even acquaintances. I spend time on EC. I journal. I attend counseling. I participate in activities that require total concentration - it is really difficult to swim laps and think about much. And, I try to balance the working out of my issues time with the time I set aside my issues to hear others and do other things.

I am sorry you are depressed. It is a very common thing to go through, but it is very miserable. Talking helps.

3. Jim1454

Admit to someone that you're having those thoughts. A close friend, a therapist, a school counsellor. Brining them out 'into the light' and saying them out loud to someone makes them sound kind of irrational even to yourself... plus you've made the effort to reach out to someone that cares, and just getting that support makes things better.

I try not to dwell on my regrets. There's nothing I can do about the things that I've done in my past. I can only have an impact on today. That also helps.

Life can be really tough at times. Its important to see beyond the rough times though and know that things will get better.

4. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

Talking about it always seems to help me. I personally went to see a therapist yesterday and that seemed to help out alot. Just saying things outloud to another human being can be very relieving.

5. 24601

Well I talked to a therapist at my worst. That helped. Now, when I'm feeling bad, I don't really do much. I take showers to relax (kind of weird, I know), play my trumpet, and read to escape. Another thing I do is listen to the Phantom of Opera soundtrack. I don't know why, but the music makes me feel better.

For me, hanging out with other people can sometimes make it worse. While we're together it's great, but when they leave everything comes crashing down even worse. So, talking to someone who's not nearby often times helps just as much, even if it's about something totally unrelated (for me). That wasn't really the case with the therapist, though.

6. Jim1454

For me, it's Les Miserable! I love that sound track. I usually cry through the last song if I'm already kind of sad, and I find that release makes me feel better! :tears:

7. TeeBe

OoooH! I love Les Mis...I had the pleasure of performing in it once ("Lovely Lady" :lol: )

I am not proud of it, but way back (elementary school) I cut. Then I realized that I had to learn to cope. My problem was that I couldn't cope with anything very well, which made me stressed, which made me depressed...That, and it is hereditary...And I got the short end of the genetic stick. I learned to cope, cut ties with all of my friends who were negative influences (which was the SECOND hardest thing I have ever had to do- coming out was, of course, first), and conciously made myself think positive. I was in counciling for a while, but I hated it. For me, it was an internal struggle, and I hated talking about it with anyone, and resented that someone was making money off of my misery. Every time I have a negative thought, I have to conciously make it positive. Pain in the :***: But it sort of helps. Kind of.

Sometimes I realize that I am really here, and I am amazed. Then, I realize that I never really expected to be alive by now. It is kind of refreshing.

8. 24601

I listen to Les Miserables too sometimes :lol:. My favorites are all the, I guess, "typical" songs, like Red And Black, Do You Hear The People Sing, On My Own, One Day More (omg <333), and I like the Finale. Not to say that I don't like the others, but those are my favorites.

9. TeeBe

Awww...Isn't anyone a fan of Master of the House:lol:

10. SpikySpice

I'm a moody driver so my emotions are always like a chaos, so I try to do anything i could to get over it, by using many methods.

2 years ago I manage to cut myself, my wrist but seems like it didnt work because I didnt have enough strength, it bleeded , but didnt harm me, after taht I was scared , soemhow, I felt stupid and felt glad taht I didnt do it too hard. Then so everytime I feeel down, the thought of suicide never came to me anymore.

It seems like the music always control me, it dosnet matter how deep my depression is, putting the headphones to my ears help me alot. It's wierd taht even when I am happy, listen to sad and mad music made me sad and mad too, I feel like the muic control me like a robot with the switch button

There are many times I felt taht this world is not worthy living because it is like you are against this world and everybody is against you, but somehow you learned that when soembody hates you, the energy inside you builds up so much that you cant even control it, so it gives you more stregth

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am but only because the person who performed Thenardier (first Canadian touring cast) the first four times I saw it (ha ha, yes, seriously I've seen it quite a few times) was my dad's best friend, and he was just awesome awesome awesome. I've never seen (or heard) anyone do a better job.

But it's a fun song. But most people associate Les Mis with serious stuff, so in that respect, it's a little out of place.

Just as long as no one likes that snot Gavroche and his stupid whiney songs, then we're good. :lol:

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What?! You mean Little Fall of Rain doesn't make you ball your eyes out?!

If I even start singing the Finale to myself I get chills and goosebumps and tear up.

I think Who Am I is a great gay anthem, too.

13. 24601

I thought I put Master of the House on that list! It's another one of my favorites. Little Fall of Rain is amazing too.

14. Sam

Sam

I think all the problems I have had in my past has made me the person I am today. I wouldn't go back and change anything for the world. I was in a very deep depression I tried to kill myself 3 times the last time I was almost successful. I cut, drank, did drugs, and developed an eating disorder. I didn't care if one of those things led to my death. I hated who I was and denied it. finally when I had turned into an alcoholic drug addict skeleton with scars everywhere who was a millimeter from death did I wake up. I think I had to hit rock bottom for me to accept myself. my friends were my rock without them putting up with my shit and helping me through it I wouldn't be here today. today I am happy and out to the people I care about and am going to college to help people get through their problems. I still deal with depression but with the support of my friends and family I can get through each day and be fairly happy. I hope you are happy.

15. Sam

Sam

oh and yeah I don't know what it is about music but it always seems to help me.

16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write, then I cry, then I go online, then I cry some more, then I go to the beach and sit on the sand (in winter if it's the case) just to watch the sea... and cry.

17. SadConfusedBandGeek

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep:slight_smile:

18. SpikySpice

Oh yeahm taht's right, tehy said male sleep, female shower:lol:

19. 24601

If you can fall asleep :grin:

20. xxAngelOnFirexx

You don't stop talking and surrounding yourself by people who love you! (&&&)