1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via Snail Mail

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by beewolf, Oct 20, 2016.

1. beewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So my dad is a literal mountain man in that he lives off in the woods with only electricity and running water. He gets his daily dose of the outside world via newspaper and has sent a single text message in his life (and my brother helped him a lot). My mom is buried in social media and uses if even more than her millenial children do (Mom and Dad are separated), and I wanted to come out to them around the same time, without any kind of direct conversation (because I don't speak very well when I'm nervous), so I've decided to write them each a basic letter and pop them in the mail and see what happens. Mom & Dad live in the same general area and both are good about checking their mail every day, so I'm hoping they'll get the letters around the same time. They are very basic ("I'm gay, So-and-So is my girlfriend, we want to move back to my hometown and wanted you to know about us before we move") and I think I do a good job of easing them into it as much as I can, and letting them know it's alright to be upset/confused about it, and to take their time in responding to me if they need to. Honestly, I think my Dad already knows (he used to make TONS of gay jokes, but he NEVER makes any when I bring my "secret" girlfriend around to visit, even though many opportunities to make such jokes arise), and I feel he'll be 100% alright with it and just give me a "yeah, I know" answer. My mom on the other hand, I'm not sure where she stands, but she's a gay rights supporter and so I hope she'll be alright it overall (growing up she was always pro-gay, but whenever I did something butch she'd bug me about it until I gave up and made myself more feminine...). Even so, I'm pretty nervous about it.

Soon as I finish this, I'm going to go pop these suckers in the mail, take a shower, and go to bed. (It's 3AM and I have to get up for work at 8:30 lol . . . I've been stressing out a lot.) I suspect I'm going to be a bit of a wreck for the next week or two, as I await replies and figure out where my parents stand on this. My girl and I are aware that we're both going to be on edge and we've budgeted for it emotionally lol. I feel good about coming out now, but I'm still afraid of their reactions (even though I'm like 94% sure they're both going to be totally fine with it; I suspect my mom will be super gungho and suddenly start going to every gay/straight alliance meeting available; she's that kind of mom). It's a big step, and while I feel ready to come out, I'm still afraid of change. So I guess I just started this thread to share my experience, since as I see it, the more shared information the better for people still struggling to come out.

I'm very excited about coming out. It's been stressful, being in the closet around my family and old friends. I don't feel I've been hiding that I'm gay, but I do feel I've been avoiding any conversation that might lead to me having to talk about it, and that's no fun (one of my old friends came out as bi privately to me and then looked at me expectantly, like he wanted me to come out to him, too, but I just panicked changed the subject). My parents also both get along with my girlfriend, and I think they'll like knowing how much she means to me. My dad also loves how she cooks for the holidays, so that's a always a bonus with the old man :lol:

Anyway, yeah. Just thought I'd share this. Feel free to leave any questions or comments. And I'll update with how it's going when I get more information.

Thanks for reading!

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck!