1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out, well, sorta

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Halpert, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Halpert

Hello there!
    This is an introduction and story rolled into one. I may end up starting something in the introduction section, but we'll see.

Boy I sure I wish I found you guys a little earlier than now! I've been reading for a few days now, just haven't had a chance to start tread until now.
    Hmmm, where to start, where to start. I guess the beginning always works :icon_wink

I was pretty sure I was gay by early grade nine I'd say. It was kind of weird actually, I can't remember a single time that I ever thought to myself "ooh, she's hot". I've just always known.

I pretty much hated what I was during high school. I hated being different, but at the same time I wanted so badly just to say "Hey, did you see his butt! That was amazing". I had a really close group of 3 friends (making us 'the four'), one being my best friend from the diaper days. I didn't want to tell them at the time, everything was just so cool, we always had a blast and I didn't want to ruin that. I wasn't craving a relationship though, so I was just fine with being quiet about it for the time being.

But then came my freshman year at college! Oh how that changed things. I got here and is sort of just popped into my head "Oh hey, you're gay, whatcha' going to do about it?" The thought gradually grew and grew, until I knew I was ready to tell someone.
    I actually made the decision pretty quick. It was the week after Christmas break. Just before me and my roommate went to bed, I just sort of blurted it out. I'm a constant sarcastic joker, so it took him a good five minutes to finally believe me. He's a close friend, so I was pretty confident in talking about it with him.

I was terrified at first, but almost immediately he reminded me we've been friends for ages and that it wouldn't make a difference. So we talked for a good hour, then went to bed (separate rooms :lol:slight_smile:. Afterwords I was really anxious. For awhile I thought it was a mistake, but that didn't last long. I gradually became totally okay with him knowing. We would joke about it, everyone thought he was just teasing me cause' that's what we always do. He asked the standard "Do you think I'm hot?" question eventually. I just gave him a blank stare, until he laughed and told me not to answer. He is. :icon_bigg

After telling him it was easier to tell people. I've gradually told my close friends here at college, most of which are from home too. I told my best friend about a week ago and he's been pretty cool about it. It's just the parents next I guess, only god knows when that'll be. I figure I'll feel its right when it is, just like when I first came out.

So that's about it! That's me and my story in a nutshell, or a glass cage of emotions (Anchorman anyone?), either or I guess.

All in all I'd say I'm happy with everything. Its cliche, but I can honestly say I've never felt better about this than I have in the last few months.

Sorry its a bit of a book, I guess I'm not the most short-worded person. :eusa_doh:

I look forward to joining the community here at EC!

#1 Halpert, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile: Glad you joined and that your coming out experience has been great. Congratulations on coming out to your friends!

As you have mentioned, you will know when you are ready to come out to your parents. Take your time. With time, you will learn how best to approach your parents and let them know.

Enjoy your time on Empty Closets. You will find that this an awesome and supportive community. Welcome aboard!

3. kramer362

Halpert... JIM Halpert?!?

And your coming outs thus far seem so damn simple, I wish I could approach it like you cause it's taking me years, haha. Welcome to EC :thumbsup:

4. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome to EC and Congratulations on coming out!

5. Just Adam

congrats and welcome to the last bar in town

6. Alex19

congrats on coming out! ive told a few ppl and its very liberating.

7. Halpert

Thanks for the welcome and congardulations guys!
    The more I read around here, the more I love it. You guys have an incredible community going on.

Yes! Awesome you picked up on that! I hope it gets easier for you as time goes on. I can see you have to tons of people rooting for you here!

8. Seanboy23

Congrats and welcome! It's great that things seem to have gone so smoothly.

You'll just know when it's time to tell your parents. Rest easy knowing that with every other person in your life that you tell and the more open and "out" you become, the stronger you'll be in spirit to face the moment you tell mom and dad.

Cheers!

9. aerwolfen

welcome another fellow canadian,congrats on your coming out a big hug goes out to you,.

10. Mickey

Welcome to our EC family! Congrats on your coming out.
    Take your time and enjoy each one. Your parents will most likely be the hardest.
    There's no rush. You'll know when the right time comes. EC is here for you and you can vent,talk,share,and just be who you are here. Glad you found us!