1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Mormon parents, how /fun/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by CROSSY ROAD, Dec 19, 2016.

1. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my friends ages before I told my parents.
    Me and my mom were having a mother daughter date at famous Dave's barbecue and we were talking about mormonism and the LGBTQA community. I told her that I was attracted to females, and right there, my life ended over a plate of ribs.
    My mom is a very square Mormon who doesn't view the LGBTQA community as valid or okay at all.
    I felt upset because my mom was upset, but I'm not upset at who I am.
    It's been about three weeks and life has been...okay, so far.

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family isn't Mormon, but they we are religious and they're on the very conservative side of the political spectrum. I wouldn't say that I was raised in an "anti gay" family, or at least not openly anti gay. Gays were rarely ever spoken about when I was growing up and when they were brought up even though the lifestyle wasn't acceptable, they looked at gays with pity. They seemed to believe it was a choice one would make after being molested. However, my mother always made the "I'd still love my kid if they turned out gay" phrase. When she found out, I didn't tell her, she found out I had a girlfriend..she stressed that she still loved me, but you could definitely tell she was very uncomfortable.

Fast forward to today(4 years later) she's a lot more understanding and says she sees it in a completely different light than she used to.

3. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom did exactly the same thing!