1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to family at Christmas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by renard, Dec 29, 2016.

1. renard

renard Guest

I'm now totally out to my immediate family, and it actually went really well! My parents didn't mind at all, and they were ultimately more interested in the guy I'm seeing than in picking apart my sexuality.

And my sisters, who in the past have been sort of judgmental and pushy about my love life, went out of their way to be supportive, which was nice. (When I asked one sister if it was okay with her that I'm gay, she sort of rolled her eyes as if the "yes" was just that obvious, which sounds rude but actually made me feel really good.)

And now, I'm out to my family and closest friends, so I don't really care who finds out at this point. I don't have any real desire to make a social media post or big announcement, but I also don't care if anyone hears secondhand. So if I'm not exactly 100% out, I'm certainly not hiding anymore, and it feels absolutely amazing.

No point to this post, really. Just super excited and relieved! Hope y'all are having a good holiday season!

2. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy and proud of you! Doesn't it feel great for people to support you? Only my aunt wants to support me, but my friends all do!

3. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great renard! Congratulations!

4. Gamma5

Yay, good for you! I'm glad it all went well:slight_smile:

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, renard!:thumbsup: It's wonderful to hear that your family was so supportive of your Coming Out! Thanks for sharing!:slight_smile:

6. YeahpIdk

Yayyy!! :slight_smile: Merry Christmas to YOU!

7. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yay! How wonderful! Congrats! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

8. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats, that is so great to hear and that it all went so well is amazing! I totally agree on your point about others finding out secondhand, it doesn't bother me either. My family is really the only ones I have worried about coming out to.
    I remember when I came out to the first person close to me (my sister) and it felt like a huge weight off my shoulder.
    I am in a similar boat to you right now, only a couple in my family know. I am thinking of coming out to my dad soon when we travel together for New Years. If it feels like the right time, I'm going to do it and maybe it will end up being the whole family before 2017. Not sure yet.
    Anyway, all the best in the new year!