1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1 strike, but I'm OUT!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Stuck Like Glue, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Stuck Like Glue

So at 41 years old I FINALLY found the courage to let my immediate family know that I'm a gay man. I'd just found this website a few days ago, but the support, advice, & stories were exactly what I needed to set things in motion. It's a damn good feeling to come clean and I hope someone else may be helped by my experience.

I simply wrote an email and sent it to my parents and sister - with them all three on the same email.

my email....

Subject: About me
    Message: Ever since some of my earliest memories I have known that I am not straight. Yes, even before I knew what that meant. I'm also pretty sure you've all known this all along too.

Don't worry, I won't be shouting it from the rooftops, but I will start being honest to myself and others. It's unbelievably exhausting to hide such a secret and I'm simply over it.

I don't know what your reactions will be, but for the first time in my forever, I feel free.

I love you all, ​

Their Responses...

Sister (home run) - very supportive phone call, as was expected
    Mom (home run) - "I will always love you! I know people who choose to be happy and I know people who choose to be miserable. I hope you choose happiness. Many big HUGS!"
    Dad (strike) - no response, also expected

After speaking to my Mom on the phone she said that my Dad was fishing. I asked if he'd seen my email. She told me that he saw it last night and he simply asked her, "Why'd he send that?". Did he actually read my email because I'd thought it was pretty clear why I'd sent it. I honestly didn't expect to get his approval, and I do not need for him to accept this just for me to move forward with my life. Maybe he'll come around eventually. If not - oh well, that would be his loss. I don't need any negativity in my life.

I'll slowly make the news known to everyone else, but I'm not worried or nervous about that in the least bit.

Exhale. Yes, it's now much easier to breathe. :icon_bigg

2. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and well done.

41 must be a good age to do that.If you could look back through 8 years of coming out stories you would find mine,which is very similar to yours and was also done at 41.

3. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Congrats that does sound good :slight_smile:

I can understand that it's easier to breath now! I'm so happy for you ^^

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and congrats.

Your dad's response may be, essentially, a short-term coping strategy. Hetero men, particularly of his generation, aren't very emotive, so a non-response-response might be the only way he has, in the short term, of coping. If he went fishing by himself, he'll have a lot of time to think and I can guarantee he'll be thinking about this. Almost certainly, he'll come around.

5. Adz6

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations
    I'm so happy for you.
    Give your dad time he might need it

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very Nice! Congratulations on coming out, its a great feeling.

7. Stuck Like Glue

Thanks everyone! I told a good buddy of mine last night and he could not have been more supportive. He even texted me this morning to thank me for opening up to him and to let me know if that he'll be there if I need anyone to talk to.

I expected it to go well with him, but I was proud to get out my first face-to-face admission. I'm planning to make a few more if those today and then plenty more tomorrow at work.