1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another facebook thread

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by J Schuelke, Apr 11, 2009.

1. J Schuelke

Hey guys and gals,

I just got done looking at the other facebook thread and it got me thinking about my little situation with facebook. About 4 or 5 months ago, I decided to check the little box that said interested in men, and at the moment I was fine with it. So basically then I was getting more friends on my list that I knew from high school that would know and luckily I didn't get any hateful messages and such. So I thought I was in the clear.

Then a little while after I was in one of my classes and they said that some employers go as far as to check the myspace and facebook pages of a possible employee and that got me a little scared. My major will be in landscape and horticulture, so I don't know of too many employers in the field that would be gay friendly. So right away I got to the nearest computer and changed it so that the little "interested in:" thing doesn't even show up.

Do you think that this was a safe thing to do? or am I just being paranoid? I am torn between the middle. Mainly because I don't want my sexuality to get in the way of getting a job, even though it is not my fault for being this way. That and the fact is that I've had a few older cousin's that have sent me friend requests and I have turned them down because no one in my family except my mom knows that I am gay. It wouldn't be a problem if I never see them, but I see them at holidays and gatherings and stuf, and I don't know if they would spread the word or not.

~sigh~ the whole thing is rather confusing for me. Any input or support would be greatly appreciated.

#1 J Schuelke, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. revolutionrock

Why don't you just make your profile private? Then nobody you weren't friends with could see any of your stuff.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best advice. Plus you don't have to worry about anyone from school that you aren't friends with.

Some employers may send a friend request, so they can see the profile. If they do you can consider "sanitizing" the profile at that time if you wish. I wouldn't lie and say you're straight, but you could just make it disappear.

Also, don't let the vast majority of your posted pictures be drinking / partying pictures.

4. EM68

I have my profile as private so only my friends can see it. Also I have 'Interested In' as blank. There are a couple of people on it that I want to come out to in person instead of reading my profile. Also I added my cousin as a friend. If he saw I was interested in men then he may tell my grandmother. :eek:

5. J Schuelke

yeah Em68, I feel the same way

6. EM68

Also my cousin is in Greece. He is very very religious and a bit old fashion. I don't think I would ever come out to him or my relatives in Greece.

7. J Schuelke

wow, that sounds difficult.

But thanks for the help all, I guess I was being too over critical, it seems so simple now, LOL

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition to making it so that only your friends can see your page, after that you can make it so certain people can see most of your page but not a particular app or your groups or your "basic info" bit. That's what I've done for the people who are also a part of a planning comity I am on for a national Mennonite youth assembly... I figured that most of them would not be very receptive to my gayness...