1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my kids

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Jim1454

...soon. :help:

I have been saying for months that this summer will likely be the best time to come out to my kids. My wife and I have been separated for 2 years now, and I have a partner now who I have been with for over a year. I think it is time that I integrated these two parts of my life.

They are going to be 6 and 8. I'm thinking that waiting until after the school year is over might be better. My main concern is them going to school and blurting it out to people who might not be understanding - and as a result end up bullied. I think the danger of that outweighs the need for them to share it with someone. They have each other, and they have my wife, who has been very supportive and positive about all this.

Plus, I'm hoping that shortly after I tell them that I'm gay - and that I have a boyfriend - they will be able to meet him and HIS kids. He has a daughter that is 9 and a son that is 11, so they are reasonably close in age. We're hoping that they can find support in each other as they're in the same situation.

So I've started the process today by printing off some reading material, including the booklet that we have a link to here "What Does Gay Mean?". I'm also looking for some age appropriate books for the kids to have. I've put in a request for recommendations to the Toronto LGBT Community Center Resource Director for Gay Parenting.

In my search, I came across a really great web site for children of lesbian and gay parents. It's called COLAGE, based in California, and looks to be a really great resource.

I'll keep you all posted in this thread as to how I make out.

2. Louise

Yay! Go Jim! I think this is very couragous of you. You are doing the right thing, if you tell them in a positive up beat way then they will take this as something positive, not something to be ashamed of... you might like to follow your coming out with a little lesson on privacy lol. This is not a dirty secret but peoples private feelings and emotions are not something that need to be shouted from the rooftops either. Kids are more understanding that we give them credit for.

Didn't you say that your wife's parents were really supportive of you? They could be a great help in reinforcing the message that this situation is normal not a source for snickering or pointing of fingers.

I say good luck to you. I belive that it well go well for you. Your wife has taken it well, the grandparents have taken it well, your kids are surrounded by open minded people and that will colour everything they think about homosexuality.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's great Jim! I think it will be fairly easy for you to tell your kids. I've said this before but kids understand love really well! When I first came to PFLAG a friend I communicated with online had a gay son with a partner and kids. When his kids were asked at school why they had two dads, they would say "Because I'm lucky!" I LOVED that!

There is some wonderful books at this website in the children's section that might be helpful.

http://www.adlbooks.com/Browse.cfm?cat=CHI

4. coriolis

coriolis Guest

Best of luck with it. Kids can be really great-you might get to them before they learn to hate people who are different. I'm sure you'll make it work out. It's great that your ex is supportive too.

5. Mickey

I wish you the very best with your kids. I think you're a wonderful father and I'm sure your kids will be all the more accepting being raised to know that love is love,no matter the sex of the people involved. Congratulations!

6. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Yay!!!!!!!!!! Don't worry, just tell then that anyone who makes fun of them in school isn't someone they want to be friends with anyway because those kids probably aren't people they want to be friends with. I'm sure your kids will be fine with it, my dad told me he was gay when I was 7 and I didn't even really know what it meant yet. I grew to think his partner, Steven, was like hela awesome, much better then his current partner. Like it has been said its better to do it now, before they grow up and learn who knows what from school and what have you.

7. Jay

Jay

Jimmy! Whatever happens, remember to be 100% sincere with them, and you can always poke me if you need someone to talk to.

Good luck!! :grin:

8. willdadoften

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good for you !!!! With all that support Im sure things will turn out fine for you and your kids .

9. aerwolfen

i know you will fair well, i came out to my son,he is very understanding,so will yours,they know they have a great Dad,what could go wrong.

10. s5m1

Jim, I am very happy to hear that you have reached this point. Good for you. I am also planning to tell my kids soon. Here are some thoughts I have on the subject:

1. Kids will eventually figure it out if we do not tell them.
    2. Trying to hide it sends the wrong message to them that there is something wrong with being gay.
    3. Asking them not to tell sends the same message, that there is something wrong with their dad being gay.
    4. My kids know my boyfriend and really like him. I think it is good that they have gotten to know him before I speak with them. They have seen that gay people are just like everyone else; we just love someone of the same sex. Since they know him, I can have the discussion with them in somewhat more concrete terms, and I think that will help them understand better.
    5. They may experience some bullying during their lives because I am gay. However, this experience of seeing discrimination affecting their family directly will make them stronger, and more empathetic, people as adults.
    6. I need to always be there to listen to their concerns about my sexuality and how it affects them as they grow up and make sure they feel they can always talk to me about their feelings.

Good luck, Jim. Please continue to share how things are going. Your advice in the past has been invaluable, and I hope to hear about how it goes for you with this, as well.

11. EM68

I hope it works out well for you Jim.

I have been thinking lately that I want to come out to my brother. When I do, I want to talk to him about coming out to my nephews and niece. This thread has made me think about it more and how or when I should let them know. They are older 13,15 and 18 so they will fully comprehend the notion of having a gay uncle. I am a little nervous about it. When I talk to my brother I will frame the conversation so that he and my ex sister in law can decide when and how to tell them. I do not want to tell them without their consent. Any thoughts about telling teenagers and young adults?

12. Jim1454

Wow - thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement and support. All your comments brought tears to my eyes - which says that I'm perhaps a little more anxious about this than I am letting on even to myself... (*hug*)

Louise - it's MY parents that have been very supportive of both my ex and myself. My wife's mother is, well, um, less so. :dry: For that reason, she hasn't been told about my orientation. We didn't trust her to not tell the kids before I was ready.

s5m1 - I'm really torn as to whether the kids should know my bf or not before hand. Many people have suggested that "You're allowed to have male friends." but when he's already my bf, I didn't want to introduce him as something else. Instead I've not introduced him at all. But The fact that I DO have a bf and that they'll meet him shortly after I've told them, I think WILL make it real for them.

Becky - thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

13. Jim1454

An update...

I have printed off some reading material and gone through it myself. I've also shared it with my (ex) wife, and she thought it was really informative and helpful. My boyfriend and I went to her place this past week (after the kids were in bed!) to talk about specifically when and how this was going to happen.

So... the plan is to tell them on the weekend of June 27. School is over and it's a weekend that they are with my wife, so she'll be around for the talk, and to talk to them after if they have questions. I'll spend some time with them that day, and then on the following Tuesday I'll be taking them to my parents' cottage for close to a week. So I'll be spending lots of quality time with them over those few days. My parents know I'm gay, and they're supportive, so it will be good for the kids to spend time with them as well.

I've said it now. That's the plan. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes.

14. EM68

Good luck Jim!

15. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    (*hug*) Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine. Your kids are lucky to have such an honest, loving dad. :slight_smile:

16. kettleoffish

best of luck to you Jim, I hope it goes well.

17. Alex19

good luck! im sure itll all go well!

18. JakeBHT

Good luck mate, hope it goes well. You are a very brave man.
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a really good plan Jim! Good luck!

20. acorn7

Good luck! As kids, I think they'll take it really well :slight_smile: