1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MLCarr, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MLCarr

So, I finally put off the enevitable long enough and told my (completely ignorant) roommate. I've lived with her since August and will be living with her until at least next May.

This is how it went:
    Me: Hey Taylor, give me 2 minutes, I need to talk to you.
    Taylor: Okay, what's up, I need to get to Walmart...
    Me: So I've lived with you since August and I figure you either have no idea or have already figured out that I'm not exactly straight.
    Taylor: *laughing* You're joking right? [I do tend to joke a lot, so this didn't really offend me]
    Me: No joke Taylor, I'm serious.
    Taylor: Oh, okay.
    *Awkward silence*
    Me: You know that I would never do anything to make you uncomfortable and that, in the case I actually had a girlfriend, I would probably never bring her around cause...
    Taylor: I trust you, but you know that I don't agree with that lifestyle.
    Me: I know you don't agree, all I ask is that you accept me for who I am.
    Taylor: Oh okay, good. No problems then. Need anything from Walmart?
    Me: Nope, but you're avoiding. You sure you're okay with this? You know you can ask me anything anytime and I'm not going to lie to you.
    Taylor: Yeah, maybe later, I'm not sure what I think right now.
    Me: Ok, go to Walmart, we'll talk later.

*sigh* So that was a slight relief. I've been avoiding telling her for months... I know her pretty well and she's probably just a bit surprised. She'll come around and we'll be friends and she'll live here next year again. I was honestly expecting yelling, being told I'm a horrible sinner, and her moving out as soon as finals were over in May. But then again, I always assume the worst...

:dry:

I survived though!

2. Greggers

^ Focus on that! (*hug*)

Wow, im so proud of you for doing that. It seems like you maybe had a reason to suspect she might not take it well (and imo she didnt, "does not approve of that lifestyle"? whats that mean?) and to go ahead and come out anyways takes alot of balls! :wink:

So i bow to you *bow* because that deserves some congratulations! I would definitely FORCE her to talk it over with you if you value the friendship enough. She has to know that "that lifestyle" is perhaps not what she thinks. Educate her :slight_smile:

3. MLCarr

Thanks Greggers! (*hug*) And by the way, I was mortified to learn what the Pen15 club was when I was in 2nd grade and got that written on my hand in sharpie. :eusa_doh:

So she got back from walmart and seems a bit aprehensive, but not scared. I'm going to keep quiet the rest of the night and talk to her tomorrow. I've never had to talk to someone like this and I'm thinking she's too shy to ask questions...

What should I talk to her about?!?

4. Alex19

i take it shes religious... well, she isnt giving u a hard time about it so thats good. and u dont have to talk about anything. just go about your business like u normally would. if she has something to say/ask, let her do it when shes ready.

5. biisme

It sounds as though she still accepts you as her friend, even if she doesn't understand or agree with your sexuality. And that show's she's trying, which is the best thing to happen. I hope that the problems smooth out over time. (*hug*)

6. Thisisnew

Well congrats on telling her give her time if she has a question she will ask you when she is ready.

7. MLCarr

My fear is that she won't ask... I know that seems stupid, but the poor girl is so shy I can see it happening. I'm not sure if I should just casually bring it up again and see if she does have questions or just back off and let her come to me... Normally the people I'm around are very upfront about things, she's not, that's why I worry.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first must tip my hat and say you truly do have guts to come out to someone that you knew would disapprove.

Second I must tip my hat to your roommate. She may be ignorant, she may disagree, however it seems she is being very civilized. I hope she continues to be, and perhaps questions her beliefs.

I also like this quote:

9. Coldflame

I would definitely try to sit her down and discuss it with her if you feel the need to talk to her about it but are afraid she won't come to you. You might want to have some things you plan to talk about instead of leaving it up to her to ask questions.

10. MLCarr

That was my thought. But I'm still not sure even what to talk to her about?