1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Honest with everyday people..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RaeofLite, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

I have a question for everyone and anyone here. How do you come out to people in everyday conversation?

Are you honest about your same sex gf or bf?
    ie: "Do you and your bf like skiing?" "Oh yea, me and my gf love skiing."

And responding to the question asked by the opposite sex: "Are you seeing anyone?" "Yes.(do you add anything else?)"

I think I'll start using the "I don't date people with facial hair and I'm seeing someone" line instead of "I don't date men" unless they don't get it the first time.

What do you use? Are you honest about or do you have funny ways of responding to those situations?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't get asked the girlfriend question much any more, but when I did, I would just answer "no" and try to change the subject. My social life isn't expansive enough to just get asked by random strangers.

3. crystaltriforce

same here

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to be honest. I actually had a big discussion with three of my houemates about my being queer, they were all pretty interested in knowing what things were actually like for a lesbian in the real world.

5. Yeah my friend asks about being gay all the time as if we were some rare elusive species.

6. epiphanies

As far as being honest is concerned, I'm not. I just say I don't have a bf and leave it at that. Then again, I don't have a gf either, so it isn't like I could mention someone.

We are only 10%. I'd call that rare!

7. pokeypanda

Same for my roommates!!

When others ask I tend to be straight forward

8. aerwolfen

when i came out to one of my co-workers, he was very understanding and accepted,he was sincere about it and happy for me,but asked alot of questions , then didn't want to hear my answers,he wasn't ready to hear what two guys can do compared to himself.but still to this day is very supportive,which makes work very comfortable.

9. Greggers

I get asked the "So do you have a girlfriend" question alot

I also get asked "Dont you think she is hot?"

And alot of other questions involving womeon or my love life. Every time one of these comes up, i speak frankly and honestly and as if its just a "matter-of-fact" thing.

Why? Because why not? Im not afraid of myself i guess. I dont think its wrong, bad, lesser or even really different to like the same sex. Thats how it should be. It should not be this giant elephant in the room. I would speak of it the same way as i speak about how my schooling is going or what courses im taking. Its just one of those things i think that only gets better when people realise its not a circus act or illegal crime. Its just there.

I would urge other people who are "out" so to speak to do the same. The more you treat it like a non-issue the more other people *should* realize it is a non-issue.

10. someguy82

I just came out with it bluntly, and it worked pretty well with me. I just made sure to preface it with a "I know this is a little out of the blue."

11. riddlerno1

Well, i came out like this for the first time and it was realtively stress free. A guy at worked asked if i had a gf and i juts said no, there wont be any gf as im gay. That was it. He was like 'Really!!!' and that was the end of the conversation as he left for his train. Unfortunatly i go back into work tommorow and im sure hes told everyone at work now!

12. Just Adam

im getting asked if im gay alot of late by women in the local gay bar lol im still taken a little back but im able to say " yes i guess i am haha " * cheeky smile *

13. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

It depends on the person. I have recently answered the 'have you got a gf' question with 'no, i'm gay'.

Not everyone gets that answer tho

14. SexyTimeInTent

Southend-On-Sea, Essex, South East, England
    erm, sometimes I'm completely honest and say "no, but my gf..." whatever, not that were together anymore. though sometimes I start to feel reallyuncomfortable and settle for a no and walk off or change the convo straight after. I hope I start being more honest from now on. lol.

15. -Michael-

I get asked "Any nice girls then?"

This is mainly from people i havn't seen in god knows how long.
    Mostly older relatives and such.

I just answer everything truthfully.

"Have a girlfriend?"
    "No"

"Any nice girls?"
    "No"

Then i might have a conversation about a joke my boyfriend told me or something.
    I just bring it up in an ordinary way, like i would be talking about anybody else.

I don't blame people asking these questions.

Political correctness has already gone mad!
    Best not confuse people with more...

:slight_smile:

16. Colly

Usually, I get asked these questions while at work, and my clients are making small talk. Regardless of my orientation, I feel that it's none of their business. But to be polite I just say that "I haven't found the right person yet".

None of my relatives have actually asked if I have a Missus yet. So that makes me think that I may be more out than I think.. <.< >.>

17. Coldflame

I've taken on the attitude that I'm not obligated to tell everyone I meet, but will be honest about it if it gets brought up. If someone were to ask "do you have a gf?" I would say "no, I'm gay." But if someone asks me "do you and your gf like to go skiing?" I would probably respond "I'm single and I snowboard". I only mention it if the "gf" is the topic.

that being said, I'm pretty sure the people who live on my floor that I see every day still don't know just because it's not something that gets brought up. That makes it awkward when I catch one of them discreetly trying to hook me up with someone.:dry:

18. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nobody asks me those questions.
    But whenever people say anything, I'm honest but not detailed.

19. katie

well this usually crops up with my friends, when we're looking thru mags, and my friends will go 'woah, dont u think he's gorgeous?' and ill be like 'meh, but i think SHE'S fit!' they usually get it...after a funny look first! if its with guys in the pub or something, ill flirt with them, and just b4 i kiss them i lean in and whisper 'theres something u should know about me',then when they ask, i lean real close to them, and say 'i actually go 4 girls.' the look on thier faces is priceless!!! :lol: im cruel, i know, but its fun.

#19 katie, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  20. GhostDog

I've yet to be honest with somebody who wasn't a close, close friend. :/ Last time someone asked me if I was straight, I panicked, my heart started pounding, my head started spinning and I said, "uh... yeah" aaaand I felt terrible for lying. >.<

Normally when someone says something along the lines of, "Oh, I'm sure you'll find a nice boyfriend someday." I'll nod politely and go "I'll find someone eventually." I deliberately refrain from using gender identifiers when I talk about a hypothetical future S.O.

Haha, in my aesthetics class, we were discussing proliferation of images, and how the media affects our perceptions of gender, and got asked to describe our "Ideal Man". Everyone else described muscular, hairy mountain men, I said "Um. Symmetrical. And clean?" I honestly blanked out when she asked us that. >.>

One day I'll be able to tell the whole truth, I'm certain, once I've figured out what it is >.<

#20 GhostDog, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009