1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Droundhog coming out day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Russian Unicorn, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Russian Unicorn

I came out to my mother about 4 years ago. Long story short, she didn't believe me. Or almost didn't.
    The whole coming out thing was spontaneous and awkward followed by a three-day period of screaming and arguing. The standard formula of "It's disgusting, it's a choice, it's propaganda, it's a disease". Then we just stopped talking about it. Since then I've occasionally thrown in an update of "Hey' I'm still gay", but she pretends to have a goldfish memory span and goes like "Oh, really? No, you are not". When she sees me browsing LGBT+ sites, it's obviously "the process of self-programming". I'm especially freaked out by the what-will-your-husband-be-like talk. WITH A VAGINA DAMN IT. The same identity erasure happened when I came out as childfree. She is the only one in my immediate family who knows about my orientation. I guess it's her way of coping, but it's making me feel invisible and non-existent like a unicorn.
    She is impossible to change. I'm past mommy issues, just needed to get it off my chest. I'm guessing many LGBT+ members felt erased and "invalidated" after coming out.
    P. S. sorry for the typo in the thread. It's "groundhog"

#1 Russian Unicorn, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017