1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well......for better or worse, I am "out"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by wtinal, Jul 3, 2007.

1. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think everyone who is important to me knows. The three most important people in my life have had very different reactions. Actually, they have had different reactions from each other, but also from how I thought they would react.

First, I told my best friend of years and years. Her response was to simply say, "okay" and she hasn't talked to me sense. Trying to be patient with her, but it hurts when I try to talk to her and she avoids me or gives me a one word answer.

My best friend of only a few years. She was supportive of my exploration. She and I talked about different aspects several times, and she bought be informational material she thought might be helpful. Also, she assured me that she loves me and wants to be my friend no matter what. Very reassuring!

Finally, my adoptive mother. Her initial response was to "clarify" that I knew what gay means. So, I made it perfectly clear I was pretty certain my definition was accurate. Then, she basically has not said anything about it. Our conversations are very shallow. And on the positive side, we have had no conversations about me getting married and having kids (which is good, because in the past almost every conversation has included these topics).

So, I am out. I am not sure what the future will bring, but I am loving the freedom that honestly and openness brings.

The only bad part about finally being out is the fact I know very few lesbians, and the ones I do know are "married". I am not in a real rush to get "married", but I would like to date or at least know some single lesbians who can be "girl" - friends.

2. xequar

Congratulations! I would bet that your one friend just needs some time to adapt to the idea, so I hope everything works out for you. And if that friendship doesn't make it, then I'll assert that the person wasn't as good of a friend as you thought. Enjoy the freedom! It's like seeing in color for the first time, I think.

3. 24601

I'm fully out too. I just kind of said fuck it one day, and decided to put a few pride things on my myspace, a pride icon on AIM/MSN/YIM and told everyone who needed to know. But this isn't about me... so...

Congratulations! It does feel great, doesn't it? I think life should get a lot easier from now on. :grin:

4. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had been advised to wait for awhile before telling the three most important people in my life. But, I just couldn't wait. I always felt like I was lying and sneaking around (going to places that are known to be "gay")

It does feel great to be free. I don't know about life getting easier. Not that I could really do it at this point, but I do sometimes want to crawl back in the closet when the pressure is on. I have to remind myself what that was like.

5. 24601

The closet is dark and scary... inhabited by countless frightening monsters... some of whom prowl this board... :roflmao:

6. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yay :slight_smile: Congratulations! I'm sure things will work out with your best friend. I'm in the same situation as you too. Now that I'm out i wanna be on the dating scene and meet new people but I don't no where to start! N e who good luck.

7. CrimsonThunder

Congrats =D

You are very lucky to have a supportive adoptive mother and friend. The other one will probably get closer to you after she totally understands everything. :slight_smile: Hopefully.

8. davo-man

Congratulations, im sure your friend will come around and accept you for who you are....it might just take some time.....one of my friends is like this, where he will not let me touch him, even to shake hands or pat him on the back, but he's definately becoming more accepting as time goes on, so dont worry, just give it time

9. Grof142007

wow wish i could do that i practically doing everything but screaming im gay to let my parents know

10. Jim1454

Congrats!

11. Red87

Congrats for coming out, even if it didnt' go as well as you could have hoped.

Oh, and...
    I've started doing that as well. On MSN I had my usual comment under my name, and put.. Oh.. Also Gay after the end of it, and put a big rainbow flag as my display pic. I had like 5 or 6 IM's in the morning asking about it... it was so funny, yet gave me a good reason to come out to people.

12. blake21

congratulations on your coming out

13. AbstractAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good on you! I'm out to most people and Im about to come out at school. I'm sure your friend will accept it after she's had some time to let it sink in.

14. charlie12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congradulations! I am so happy for you and you should be so proud of yourself!