1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhausted.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mysterons, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Today I went to my first meeting with a therapist (and God, it did take me time to finally go!). I was determined to come out to him on my first meeting (otherwise, what was the point of going?) and when he asked me why I had decided to do therapy I just rambled: 'Well... um... I'm shy, and I have some trouble when it comes to socializing, 'cause I'm very insecure... and also due to my sexuality...' I couldn't just put it bluntly. Yet, he didn't say anything about the last part but asked further questions regarding the first one -me being shy and whatnot-, and that led to me talking about my family, childhood and stuff. Then, near the end of the meeting he said,

'Well, you think your sexuality makes you feel insecure, why is that?'

I wasn't totally sure if he had understood that I meant I was gay, and I said 'Because it's not what people expect... I mean... my brother already had a girlfriend when he was 16, and my parents expect me to do the same...'

'And what do you want to tell them, that it won't happen now... or ever...?'
    'It won't ever happen'
    'So... you don't like girls'

I couldn't even look him in the eye. I just shook my head.

'And you like guys...'

I nodded. Then he asked me if I was sure it was not a phase, and since when I had known. I don't think he knows much about homosexuality or has treated gay people, but anyway, he was kind and overall understanding, and I want to keep going.

This was my first coming out... I came back home trembling and feeling like I was going to puke at any moment. I'm better now, although I feel as though I had run a marathon.

2. katie

im glad u told him, (!) it sounded like it felt a little weird, but dont worry, thats totally normal, especially with a first coming out.

congrats, im proud of u.:eusa_clap
    x

3. Jim1454

You were exactly right. If you can't confide in your therapist, there's no point in going to see him. I'm glad you found the courage to go, and to be honest. You'll feel better in the long run!

4. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations...that took a lot of guts. Saying it outloud to someone for the first time is definitely the hardest. And don't worry, the shaking and the "I'm gonna puke" feeling goes away.

You will be very happy that you did this. Take some time to relax and be proud of taking a huge step! Congratulations again!

5. Alex19

hey, good for u! im sure itll help u out in the long run.

6. Mickey

Good for you! Most of us have been right where you are,now. It's scary and exhausting.
    Your feelings are completely normal. You did something that's really hard,for most of us.
    I think that the fact that you sought therapy,says a lot about you. I wish more people,having these problems,would do the same. Congratulations.

7. ArabMan

Hey there,

Let me tell you something about your therapist, I can 100% garantee you he knows and understands homosexuality more than you realize. He's just giving you time to absorb that and be more at ease about it, he won't jump right into the core of the problems.

Congrats on coming out!

8. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Hey thanks to you all, your words mean a lot to me! :icon_bigg.

ArabMan, you're probably right. It's just that when I told him, he didn't take as if it were such a big deal, and he was quite surprised that I hadn't spoken to anyone about it.

9. Eleanor Rigby

(*hug*) congratulations ! You have done a big step.
    Take care (*hug*) Eleanor

10. BasketCase

Congratulations on saying it to someone for the first time. Its amazing the range of emotions that you can go through just admitting it to someone aloud for the first time. The full spectrum.

I did the same thing in January/February.

11. Totoro

I believe that Psychologist/Therapists are trained in that sort of thing, or at least I should believe they are, as I've read up on those fields...
    Anyhow, Congratz on the coming out, hopefully you will be taking one step closer to your goal!

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should be proud of yourself. I'll pat you on the back *pat* *pat*

:thumbsup:

13. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

The one I'm going deals mostly with teenagers, so I guess he has at least heard of sexuality issues haha. The thing is that it's such a touchy matter for me, that I get paranoid and start thinking 'no one will understand me' over and over again. Anyway, this was just the first meeting, and we'll probably go further into this later. I'm kinda nervous at the moment... I can't believe that I finally told someone in person. At times I think 'Oh my God, what have I done' but then I tell myself that it's the only way I can get over my problems.

Thank you all for your kind words! You make me feel less lonely :slight_smile:.

14. paytah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally hear you on that one. Same thing happened to me last week with my therapist and I'm still not over the feeling. Even if it is hard for you to talk about this particular subject it's awesome that you've found a person to talk to and you managed to get it out so quickly (took me eight weeks :slight_smile:). Congrats!

15. tallship

congrats my friend we are all thinking of you, remember with ec your never alone we are here 24 /7 if you want to talk or just rant . take care now:thumbsup:

16. Magnet

Congratulations :thumbsup: Thats a big step :slight_smile:

17. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Thank you a lot :slight_smile:! I can't believe I wrote this only five days ago haha, it seems ages now...

18. Zac4

congrats man.

19. KittyBoy

Hey congratulations! It is a huge step, but you feel better after it! The first step is always the hardest.