1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow and steady

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by starbucksshoote, Apr 25, 2009.

1. starbucksshoote

Slow and steady progress on coming out.

Up to 14 friends knowing - it's always an interesting experience.

In some cases, they say they had already guessed (mostly guys), and some are taken completely by surprise (mainly women).

Everyone so far (except one) has been just great. Roommate/best friend has been really supportive.

This is the one part that seems to be going reasonably well.

Going to head to a gay bar next week to start to meet more gay peopel (I know all of three) - this is a major step forward as there exists the possibility of people finding out that I'm gay outside of the carefully constructed conditions which are normally present when I tell people.

I know it sounds a little small-minded, but I'm nervous about people finding out without me being there to put it into context. A lot people have perceptions about gay people that aren't particularly accurate (or at least not accurate of me) - it's likely an image concern, but I don't want people assuming that because I'm gay I'm promiscuous or on drugs.

I also told my church that I'm gay, which was a bit nerve-wracking, but it went just fine.

I think in the next few weeks I will tell my boss (I think she'll be fine with it).

Forward we go.

2. jsandoval1192

Congrats! I'm glad things are going smoothly for you =]

3. EM68

You are making progress! Good job!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on your coming out thus far. It looks like that things are going pretty well for you. Glad that most of your friends are supportive and accepting. Have fun at the gay bar. :slight_smile:

5. tm74

tm74 Guest

The media has a lot to answer for - there are few unbiased depictions of gay men on tv or in the movies. People who don't know any different will assume everyone is like Jack from Will and Grace - whereas in truth, most are just regular guys. In fact W&G is the closest I've seen to a balanced depiction, although some of the characters are stereotypical (but then, so are some gay guys), you see gay people with normal "straight guy" jobs (lawyer, cop) as well as the effeminent arty types.

#5 tm74, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009